Book for PC novice

Diodorus Siculus 16:46 28 May 05

Can anyone suggest a good book for a person new to computers. I really mean new: has no idea how to use one.

She can type on a manual typewriter - that is the limit.

So, something that will show her how to email, use the internet, write letters (MS Office) and generally do the necessary bits and pieces.

I am thinking of XP for Dummies click here but am open to any suggestions.

Thanks as always,

Dio.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:19 28 May 05

XP for Dummies is the one that I always recommend. She could always do an ECDL course at college. IIRC they cost very Little and are a good taster to computing.

G

spuds 18:28 28 May 05

A book that's called Straight to the Point-Windows XP Professional and Home Edition [ISBN:2-7460-1627-3] is well worth a space near the computer, and a bargain at £4.99. Published by ENI Editions click here

Personally, I would recommend a browse in the book section at PC World. Covers all ranges and levels, with occasional discounts offered.

Arnie 11:54 30 May 05

Just clicked on the link spuds. Did you mean it to connect to a French site?

Pooke100 12:09 30 May 05

if you click the british flag it changes!

Arnie 12:20 30 May 05

Got it.

Must wear my glasses in future!

Arnie 12:52 30 May 05

The book looks like a good buy, except that, on ordering to the basket, the ENI site states the following:

Delivery time is between 2 and 4 days for UK and Ireland.
A delivery cost of £ 8.50 applies to orders less than £ 250

This site includes delivery at the same book cost, (£4.99).

click here

Hope this is useful.

Diodorus Siculus 13:08 30 May 05

Have been to PCW and got the XP For Dummies - The main steps (or something like that!) for a tenner. That will do the job. Thankss for the replies.

Arnie 13:15 30 May 05

You're welcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…