BIOS incompatible for XP?

Tesla 00:09 08 Jan 03
  Tesla 00:09 08 Jan 03

Firstly should anyone be kind enough to reply to this post i am fairly PC inexperienced.
At present i run 98se but am looking at trying XP.I think most of my hardware is ok,Duron1.2,384sdr,60gig etc,but on running a compatibility test on PCpitstop it shows my BIOS as being too old.I believe it to be 2000,m.board is ecs k7ama.Is an updated BIOS a (safe)possibility? Hope this can be understood ok,grateful for any help.

Thin White Duke 00:14 08 Jan 03

The best advice i can offer is to check your Motherboards manual and/or website for further information on BIOS updates and such-like.

Maybe try their techincal support.

jazzypop 00:55 08 Jan 03

Slightly tricky to be definitive about this.

Your motherboard is not listed on the MS Hardware Compatibility List - click here and search for elite in the motherboard category - but this could simply mean that ecs did not submit the board to MS for testing.

Checking your mobo manual - there is reference to the included PC-Cillin being suitable for use with Windows 2000. Generally speaking, W2K compatibility = XP compatibility.

The surest way is to run the Upgrade Advisor - click here

You can download and run this, but beware, it is a 50MB download. It is easier to find someone who already has XP, as the Upgrade Advisor is on each copy of XP. Alternatively, it has been included on several magazine Cover Disks - look for those that are 12-18 months old.

If you do run the Upgrade Advisor, make sure that you let it connect to the Web, to check for the latest updates. At the end of the process, you will get a report that tells you of *all* the upgrade issues you might face, including drivers, programs, etc - not just your mobo's BIOS.

Tesla 00:44 09 Jan 03

Ta for the replies Thin White Duke and jazzypop,am going to run the upgrade advisor and see what occurs.Have pinpointed BIOS date to newer than thought but even if it is a problem have couple of places for upgrades, being one.Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…