Bewareof WWW.EVERBRITWHITS.COM

GRTF 11:31 15 May 10

This was shown on CNN.com's site as a cheap teeth-whitening product priced, I believe at about $3.50, although no website name was given. If you fall for this, as I did, you'll find your credit card will be charged $87.47 by click here., and a few days later by another charge of $40.00 by click here, a total of £87.53. Have a look at both sites on google or click here.
How many viewers were scammed by this? And what is CNN going to do about it?

wiz-king 14:59 15 May 10

Did you read the T&C? The price is in there, a bit expensive for a toothpaste but if you want to use it you have to pay the price. The recomendation box blurb clearly states $200 - $400 for a course of treatment.
I dout if CNN will be that bothered, they may drop the advert.

GRTF 16:05 15 May 10

But there was nothing to read. No website was displayed by CNN, and it was not an advert.
CNN's Health Section invited viewers to apply for this treatment at a cost of $3.50. Read all the comments on Google.People have been scammed.
The fraud squad of my Credit Card Company has promised to repay any further charges by these sites. What has Ibuildwealth4u got to do with teeth whitening? They also said there have been numerous complaints about this.

BRYNIT 16:22 15 May 10

The $3.50 was the delivery charge for the trial period of 10 days.

After putting in your details you get to the page that clearly states.

"By submitting this form I am ordering the EverBrite Smile trial membership for $3.87 to cover S&H. Unless cancelled, your credit card will be charged $89.97 upon the completion of the 10 day trial period. 30 days from the end of the trial period, your credit card will be charged $89.97 monthly until cancelled."

If you did not read this you have only yourself to blame.

GRTF 17:22 15 May 10

As I said, there was nothing to read, that I
saw; I would never agree to that. Another
victim said he would never look at CNN again;
and it doesn't explain your details being given to another site who promply charges you again.
The fraud squad got it right.

Forum Editor 18:52 15 May 10

"If you are satisfied with our product, then do nothing-we will bill you for your initial order, and every thirty days after your initial order we will send you a new 30-day supply of our product, and automatically bill you the low price of $89.97."

Then again, very clearly, right where you enter your credit card details, prior to payment is this:

"By submitting this form I am ordering the EverBrite Smile trial membership for $3.87 to cover S&H. Unless cancelled, your credit card will be charged $89.97 upon the completion of the 10 day trial period. 30 days from the end of the trial period, your credit card will be charged $89.97 monthly until cancelled. I have read and agree to the terms and conditions/privacy policy"

There's a tick box, and unless you tick it to say you accept these terms your order will not be processed.

This seems to me to be a classic case of greedy people thinking they're getting something for almost nothing, and in their eagerness they don't bother to stop and check what they're doing.

GRTF 20:26 15 May 10

Again, I did not get the chance to read any conditions before starting this. I hadn't heard of Everbritwhits.com until it appeared on my Card statement. Have a look at all the complaints such as people having these amount "stolen" from their accounts and, again, what about Ibuildwealth4U also applying charges?

wiz-king 20:42 15 May 10

You must have given your card number or else you could not have been charged.

Forum Editor 23:08 15 May 10

that if you did not consent to charges being applied to your card you are entitled to expect your card provider to make a charge-back.

The fact that your card company has agreed to do this in your case is an indication that they are satisfied you didn't give consent in the first place.

You've had a bad experience,and I'm sure you've learnt a lesson - never provide your card details to anyone unless you are sure that you know who they are, and what they will charge to the account.

morddwyd 08:02 16 May 10

They have only agreed to refund "further charges" which would appear to indicate that they believe such charges were authorised in the first place, but the authority has now been withdrawn

Arnie 11:04 17 May 10

GRTF

I note that from your first linked website, the company state that their product contains 22% carbamide peroxide.
(See final note below).

After reading the following information, I think it would be wise to give careful thought before using these products. Why mess with a healthy set of teeth?

The use of toothpastes, mouth rinses and tooth whiteners containing up to 0.1% hydrogen peroxide does not pose a risk to the health of the consumer. Toothpastes and mouth rinses should not contain more than 0.1% hydrogen peroxide.
The use tooth whitening products containing 0.1 to 6 % hydrogen peroxide entails potential risks for the consumer. These risks increase with increasing concentration of hydrogen peroxide and frequency of application.

Potential risks of the use of tooth whiteners containing between 0.1 and 6 % hydrogen peroxide can be limited if tooth whitening is done properly with the approval and under the supervision of a dentist. The specific situation of each individual should be taken into account prior to treatment.

Additional research is needed on the use of tooth whitening products over longer time periods.
Use of tooth whitening products containing more than 6% is not considered safe for use by consumers.

Source: click here

Note: Trying to compare a product with Carbamide peroxide to one containing Hydrogen Peroxide? A solution of 10% carbamide peroxide is about equal to 3% hydrogen peroxide, 22% carbamide peroxide is about the same as 7.5% hydrogen peroxide.

Source: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5