Beware hidden costs could uccur

Teddy Jeff 15:59 27 Apr 04

I would like to inform members about what happened to me over the past month.
I searched the web for a Canon EOS-300D which I found recomended in the PC Advisor and placed an order with a company with an address in London, I thought, The company Pixmania.com were very good and the camera was delivered in about 4 working days as stated. I didn't get a chance to try the camera outdoors before after recharging the battery it developed a fault. I phoned Canon for help they tried but told me to return it for a replacement.I got on to Pixmania who were once again very good and told me the proceedure to return the camera. When I took it to the GPO they wanted £59.50+ as it was to be sent to France It would of only cost £15 if it was giong to an address in the UK.At the moment I am still without a camera after paying out £885 plus the cost of postage And the cost of extra instructions in English (£16+ ). So please beware,buy from the country where you reside it may be cheaper in the end.

anchor 16:21 27 Apr 04

This is a problem I have been warning about for a long time. Most recently here:

click here

I always recommend asking Jessops camera stores to web price match, (which they normally do providing the supplier is UK based, and has it in stock). You then have the convenience of a local contact, maybe even in your home town.

TBH1 16:36 27 Apr 04

Firstly, if the camera is faulty you should be re-imbursed all costs. Secondly, how come it cost so much to send ? I recently had need to send a hard disc to holland - - that cost £8 to send.

spuds 18:20 27 Apr 04

I purchased a Kodax DX 3700 camera,via Kodaks special internet offer.The camera proved faulty after a time, so Kodak had it repaired.The outcome of that repair, was Kodak made the arrangement for DHL to call at my home address, DHL packaged the camera and completed all the documentation including custom,s declaration.The package was then sent to Belgium,was repaired and returned within the week at no cost to me at all. Sending via DHL as Kodak had arranged, I was able to track every movement from door to door thoughout the process. DHL were brilliant..

If you do a PCA search, there was a very recent post regarding Pixmania and it gave a good contact person's details.Might be worth checking this out.

spuds 18:23 27 Apr 04

Just checked,search link suggested,is given by anchor above.

Forum Editor 23:21 27 Apr 04

the Pixmania.com UK site your contract with them is subject to French law, and you are not protected by UK consumer legislation. This is clearly stated in the terms and conditions of sale on the site.

Nevertheless, your repair will be covered by Canon's own manufacturer's guarantee, and you may find that they'll cover the cost of postage. This does highlight the fact that buying outside the UK, even though the initial cost may be less, can bring problems later.

Teddy Jeff 23:46 27 Apr 04

I will be certain to seek help from this forum in future
Teddy jeff

Teddy Jeff 00:11 28 Apr 04

The Post office wanted to charge £59 plus because the parcel contents was over £900 and being sent out of the UK I might say that I opt for a lower permium of £22 plus but the parcel was only covered for £150 so I took the risk.
Thanks TBH1
Regards Ted

Teddy Jeff 00:22 28 Apr 04

I have been to the link and found it very enlightening thanks again
Ted

Teddy Jeff 00:24 28 Apr 04

Thanks Spud but what is a PCA seach?
Regards Ted

spuds 00:44 28 Apr 04

PCA search-- If you go to any of the main title pages Helproom,ConsumerWatch, My Postings etc, you will see on the left hand side of the screen a search menu. Fill it out to your question ie Pixmania then scroll to helproom or consumerwatch or other page titles, depending on your question,then put in week or all discussions,then tick title only or other box below,then click submit. That should deliver past discussed subjects from archives.In the case of Pixmania, anything with that title should appear as a search. But since the recent server changeover, there have been a few blips, with perhaps error messages, so keep trying.Hope this helps, and appologies if I have got anything wrong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…