beware fake eBay mail.

Dorsai 17:41 08 Feb 05

There, as usual, seem to be fake eBay emails doing the rounds.

such as:

Topic: eBay Registration Suspension

We regret to inform you that your eBay account will be suspended due to concerns that we have for the safety and integrity of the eBay community.

We recently reviewed your account and suspect that your eBay account may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party.

Therefore, as a preventative measure, we have temporarily limited access to sensitive eBay account features. Click the link below in order to regain access to your account

Respond Now (A hot link to click here. harboruserconfirm. home.ro/ noticably not Ebay!)

eBay treats your personal information with the utmost care, and our Privacy Policy is designed to protect you and your information. eBay will never ask their users for personal information, such as bank account numbers, credit card numbers, pin numbers, passwords, or Social Security numbers in an email. For more information on how to protect your eBay password and your account, please visit User Account Protection.

This eBay notice was sent to you based on your eBay account preferences and in accordance with our Privacy Policy. To change your notification preferences, click here. If you would like to receive this email in text format, click here.

Copyright © 2004 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.

End of mail>

If you visit the link, the site you end up at, which looks like eBay, you are asked to provide your eBay userid & password, and also your email address & password!! Be warned.
I filled the boxes in with any old junk, and was then re-directed to the real e-bay sign in screen. No doubt has i suppled a valid userid & password it would also have logged me in, making it look like it really was eBay. They would also have my Email address and password, enabeling them to sent more spam from my address.

For info only.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:03 08 Feb 05
  Dorsai 20:20 08 Feb 05

It took me a while to find the mailto:[email protected] address, but as soon as I found it I posted the mail to them. Then I started this thread.

I have since had confirmation from eBay that the mail was indeed a fake. No surprise there then.

Did they (the Spoofers) really think I was going to give my e-Mail address & password out??? They must be really thick.

Mr Mistoffelees 21:15 08 Feb 05

I'm sure you, like myself, have more sense than to give the Spoofers your details, but not everyone does.

Dorsai 19:35 09 Feb 05

All too true. That is why I posted this. Just to make everyone aware. The spoofer, if he/she ever checks the details i gave is in for a rather 'rude' set of datails. Mostly telling them to 'go forth and multiply, you silly person, with knobs on' if you get my meaning.

Fellsider 09:48 11 Feb 05

Rec'd e-mail supposedly from eBay to get me to enrol as a power seller. Got a bit suspicious so I forwarded it and eBay have confirmed that it is a fake.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…