Best value PC Base Unit

timbuck 19:16 15 Nov 04

I am pretty new to all of this, having 'inherited' a PC from my sister about 6 months ago, and would like to purchase a new Base Unit. Primarily to play games to be honest. With a budget of around £700 what is the best place/site to go to?

Cook2 20:30 15 Nov 04

My personal preference is click here as I've never had any trouble in my dealings with them.

JAN-BOY 22:29 15 Nov 04

Personally I would go for a Mesh Amd 64 3500

Vague Boy 00:26 16 Nov 04

As someone who has just recently bought a MESH AMD 64 3500 I can't fault it. However, Novatech's customer service reputation is superb.

Arthur Scrimshaw 10:13 16 Nov 04

Agree about Novatech - but they used to offer a configurator facility where you could choose all the components you wanted. They don't appear to do this now - so you have to take whats on offer in pre-built units.

Real Shame.

Spanglish 14:19 16 Nov 04

Another one worth visiting is click here.
Brian

Vague Boy 15:18 16 Nov 04

"Agree about Novatech - but they used to offer a configurator facility where you could choose all the components you wanted. They don't appear to do this now - so you have to take whats on offer in pre-built units.
Real Shame."

That was the main reason I went elsewhere in the end. Maybe they do it to keep prices keen?

Cook2 15:40 16 Nov 04

timbuck I was thinking on the lines of maybe a barebone system where you can use your existing floppy, CD-R, DVD etc.

You'll probably be able to get a top rate video card and a TFT screen, well within your budget and have money left over.

Don't worry about being new to this, it is fairly straight forward if you take your time.

NoeK 21:15 16 Nov 04

PCWorld? I bought my Compaq Presario from there at just £600. Exremely powerful and i use it to play Half-Life 2. At least you know its a branded produc - Compaq, which if anything goes wrong you know who to contact. Consists of:

Intel Pentuim 4 3.2Ghz processor with HT

512mb RAM at 400Mhz

120GB Hard Drive

DVD Reader/Writer

nVidia Graphic Card 128mb

Really impressed me so far, and not one problem.

I also intend to increase my RAM to 1Gb soon.

Regards

Stuartli 09:53 17 Nov 04

BigPockets (click here) offers several barebone systems, including fast Athlon powered Packard Bells, at up to £399 including VAT.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…