Best Value Inkjet Printer For The Home User

anniel 10:49 30 Nov 04

My Samsung Laser Printer has run out of cartridge and we think we would be better off buying a new inkjet printer that would be more useful for me. My needs are modest. I want to print some photos and print off useful articles, letters etc.

I have read reviews and can see we could buy a reasonable printer for around £100.

I have read favourable reviews of the HP Photosmart 7450, but I realise there are many models to chooose from.

As husband wants to buy one tomorrow, some advice would be appreciated.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 16:51 30 Nov 04

Epson C86 printer is well recommended and is now only about £80 in most shops. But Canon also have a new one out in the £90-100 region.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 16:53 30 Nov 04
  anniel 17:26 30 Nov 04

Thanks for the advice.

I have looked at the recommended list, but have to say I am rather confused by the plethora of printers about the £100 price.

I was hoping maybe someone who had bought such a printer recently may have a recommendation.

Stuartli 17:37 30 Nov 04

It's not only the price of the printer that has to be taken into consideration, along with its printing abilities, but also the cost of replacement cartridges.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 18:02 30 Nov 04

I have the Epson C86 and very happy with it. Quick, good quality and good pictures. Referred you to the Canon on the link because this has been referred to as perhaps an advancement with regard to picture quality and is < £100.

anniel 18:20 30 Nov 04

I meant to ask about replacement cartridges.

I would prefer to be able to use generics rather than this possible with the Epson?

JaßîsFaß ˜ 18:34 30 Nov 04

Epson recommends the use of genuine Epson ink cartridges. Other products not manufactured by Epson may cause printer damage that is not covered by Epson's warranties.

Hence, it appears it will, but I would not risk it, and therefore did not ask the question of the retailer.

The Kestrel 18:35 30 Nov 04

I have recently bought the new Canon PIXMIA 3000. The quality of the photograph printing is excellent for a printer costing around £90. Standard printing of documents is also of a high standard. Having separate ink tanks makes it economical too, especially as compatible carts from places like Choice Stationery are inexpensive.

spuds 19:03 30 Nov 04

Epson compatibles are available as are other printer brands from a good selection of recommended suppliers like Choice, Phoenix etc. You will find that if any of their cartridges cause a problem, then they will deal with the matter, including printer repairs.

lester1 22:52 30 Nov 04

Anyone got any comments on the Epson r200

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…