best usb wireless connector

cliffoa 12:13 24 Apr 08

Hi
I've been using wired broadband internet for a while, but am just switching to wireless router with a new provider. (At least, I will be when I get my virused pc out of quarantine!) My laptop has a wireless card in, but my PC doesn't. Rather than get the back off and install a wireless card, I'd rather use one of those usb dongles or sticks that plug into the back of your pc, but I've heard conflicting reports of their effectiveness. Does anyone have a view, or a model of dongle/stick they'd recommend?
much obliged for any suggestions.
cheers

Woolwell 13:13 24 Apr 08

You will probably need to connect by wire to the router to configure it initially. If your router isn't far from the desktop I would leave it connected by wire as it provides a more reliable/faster form of connection.

slimk 19:47 24 Apr 08

I tried Bull Guard and Phillips without success. A friend is a techy at a multi-national company and he couldn't do better either. In the end I tried a cheap generic from ASDA and it worked fine. £22 if I remember correctly. The box has no brand name but the dongle is a Belkin F5D7050. Excellent signal since install.

restless 21:10 24 Apr 08

I have went through serveral of these due to kids being forcefull and breaking them.Belkin F5D7051 is one of the better ones but harder to install.Bt voyager 1055 had excellent signal,had a buffalo one bought from argos.An now using Netgear WPN11 and personally is my favourite.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…