Best quiet, reliable Power Supply Unit ?

The Aardvark 23:11 06 Nov 05

I have an Evesham 2800 pc, which I've been running for about 2 years with no real problems - the only issue I have is that it's LOUD. The PSU develops so much noise it's really annoying. I've contacted Evesham to see if they supply a quieter PSU and their reply was 'sorry - it's just a noisy unit'. So I've decided to take matters in hand and change the PSU.

Could anyone recommend a PSU - my PC is a standard tower unit so I'm looking for around 400w. Naturally I'm looking for the quietest unit possible, but build quality and reliability are also very important. From my own research I've seen good reviews on Akasa, Q Technology, Zalman, Antec and Tagan units - are any of these really any good and do any offer genuine quiet funtionality as they all claim ?

Finally, if anyone could point me in the direction of an easy to follow step by step guide to replacing a PSU I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Trackrat 23:33 06 Nov 05

I use an Antec truepower 450watt which is extremley quiet. it is also modular so you only fit the cables you need, but it is not cheap.
instructions click here

Stuartli 13:10 07 Nov 05

Enermax is another quality PSU manufacturer.

Replacing a PSU is pretty straightforward -it's the mass of wires that's daunting at first.

But if you note where the old ones went it soon becomes obvious where to use the new ones.

You may need to retain the backing plate from the old PSU to allow the installation of the new one.

You may also have to take a little more care re routing of the wire loom to maximise air flow as, at least in my recent case, latest ATX PSUs seem to be a little longer and therefore take up more case space.

Mr Beeline 22:14 07 Nov 05

I fitted a Tagan modular PSU a couple of weeks ago and can vouch that it's pretty quiet. Like a number of PSU's these days, it has an intelligent (!) fan that only runs as fast as it needs to (based on the temperature I assume).

Mr Beeline 22:18 07 Nov 05

This site also has a good section on replacing a PSU (complete with pictures).

click here

The Aardvark 23:40 08 Nov 05

Thanks for the advice folks - been looking at a labs test of 30 PSU's and Seasonic seem to be head and shoulders above the competition.

Anyone any views on their products ?

ade.h 21:30 10 Nov 05

Q-Technology available at QuietPC. As high-quality and superbly quiet, but cheaper than a lot of quiet PSUs. The 400w model is only £70. About the only thing that will be quieter than a Q-Technology PSU would be a SilentMaxx Fanless, and that'll cost a lot more.

BTW: Don't confuse the above with Q-Tec, it's a different brand entirely.

BudMustang 00:15 29 Nov 05

I did find this review on the net that warns against the Q-Technology PSU (see final paragraph). I would imagine this is more a warning for all PSUs... they may be initially quiet, but will invariably gain noise as fan bearings etc. wear. Some will degrade less than others. Which ones? Search me... I'm just buying in the dark like everyone else. I seem drawn to the Tagan but maybe it's just the black case that's wooing me.

click here

freaky 09:46 29 Nov 05

I replaced my PSU a few months ago after seeking some advice on here. It appears a rather complex job - but in fact had no problems at all.

In retrospect I wish I had paid more and bought a modular type - then you only need the cables that are actually connected. Creates a much tidier appearance as you do not have a lots of spare cables left dangling!

ade.h 17:00 29 Nov 05

looking at the pictures and the comment about pricing suggests that it's quite an old article. Sure enough, at the bottom there is an update of Nov '03. The model pictured has two fans; modern Qtechnology PSUs have one large fan and the models to look for are in the Gold series with an almost-black burnished finish.

Unrelated but worth mentioning: don't mix Qtechnology with Q-Tec or QTech. There's a comment about this on the QuietPC website.

GaT7 17:51 29 Nov 05

The only truly silent PSU is one with no fans - or passively cooled as it's called.

The Etasis EFN-300 (part of a PSU group test at click here) is one such PSU click here. Many more fanless PSUs, including Antec, Thermaltake, etc click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…