Best PC for under £700

CMC 42 16:56 23 Oct 05

My Dad is looking for a new PC. He mainly uses the computer for running a game called Trainz but the specs on our current PC can only just run the most recent version.

What we would like is (Only need a base unit): -

At least a 3GHZ processor (AMD or Pentium 4)
At least 1024MB RAM
DVD+/-RW drive
At least 160GB Hard Drive
At least 128MB Graphics Card

I've looked into configuration ones like Dell, Mesh, Carrera & Evesham.
So far Evesham are the best price and we can get: -

AMD Semporon+ 3000 processor
1GB DDR Ram
200GB Hard Drive
128MB ATI Radeon 9800 SE All-In-Wonder Graphics
Multi Format 16x Dual-layer DVD re-writer

For £559.61 inc VAT

How good are Evesham, and would anywhere else give us better specs for around the same price?

CMC 42 17:14 23 Oct 05

Just a quick extra note - Our current PC is HP and I have an Acer laptop.
The only other company we have had experience with is Tiny and their technical support was the worst I have encountered. Then again for the Acer and HP computer we've never had to contact technical support as we've never had a problem with them.

De Marcus™ 19:29 23 Oct 05

This should do just the job for that kinda money. (although it's only equipped with 512mb)

click here

sattman 19:43 23 Oct 05

Look at the DELL dimension 9100 on offer. Super machine, brilliant monitor and works out of the box. If you have the choice go for the 1024MB memory. No I dont work for them!.

CMC 42 19:51 23 Oct 05

stattman - had a quick look at the offer and looks quite good. However we are waiting for the money to come through from selling my Nans old house and the offer will no longer apply.
Plus once upgrading the drive to a DVD/RW drive and Upgrading the RAM it works out more than the Evesham that's got 1GB of RAM.

How reliable are Evesham? I've heard very mixed opinions about Dells & I hate their laptops (having used one at school - the keyboard felt like it would fall to pieces and they're so heavy).

CMC 42 19:54 23 Oct 05

"This should do just the job for that kinda money. (although it's only equipped with 512mb)

click here"

thats the one I reconfigured the other day funnily enough and it comes to £777 which is a lot more than the Evesham and the Dell pointed out by Stattman

CMC 42 19:54 23 Oct 05

"This should do just the job for that kinda money. (although it's only equipped with 512mb)

click here"

thats the one I reconfigured the other day funnily enough and it comes to £777 which is a lot more than the Evesham and the Dell pointed out by Stattman

CMC 42 20:00 23 Oct 05

"stattman - had a quick look at the offer and looks quite good. However we are waiting for the money to come through from selling my Nans old house and the offer will no longer apply. Plus once upgrading the drive to a DVD/RW drive and Upgrading the RAM it works out more than the Evesham that's got 1GB of RAM."

Quick update note just realised that the price is finalised with the reductions and actually works out at over our budget.

Does anyone know what the delivery costs are from Evesham?

sattman 20:27 23 Oct 05

Points noted, however the DELL offer seems to be a ongoing one, also check media etc as they have special offers. The 9100 comes with a seperate DVD and CDRW drive.

CMC 42 20:32 23 Oct 05

sattman - yes but its a DVD-rom not a DVD-rw drive and its £712 even without upgrading the RAM. (yes I know the lowest model says from £571 but when you click on it it says from £712).
If you look at the conditions it says the save £200 runs out on 26/10/2005, as does the free delivery.

CMC 42 20:59 23 Oct 05

click here Is the Evesham computer I reconfigured to get what was in my original post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…