BEST PC SPEAKERS

mufcrbest87 19:23 11 Nov 08

I have got up to £50 to spend on some 2.1 speakers for my dads christmas present and i am looking for the best ones around, they need to be attractive and cool to look at, also they need to have a headphone socket

MAT ALAN 19:33 11 Nov 08

click here

inspire 3200 i-trigue 3200 or creative 3100 which i have an older version of..

superb sound quality....

Stuartli 21:02 11 Nov 08

Altec Lansing, a highly respected American hi-fi speaker company, also produces models for computer systems. See:

click here

An example:

click here

iqs 17:14 12 Nov 08

I have these 2.1 speakers,bought from PC World,in store £39.99,on-line £24.99,ask for the on-line price in store,cheeky me ....

Personally I can not fault the sound or the build quality.
My sound is produce by a creative sound card,might make a difference when compared to on-board sound.

GaT7 17:28 12 Nov 08

If you go for Creative's offerings don't buy from them directly as you'll probably get them cheaper elsewhere - check Amazon, Play, eBuyer & PCWorld.

I've heard the Altec Lansing TVS4121 (Stu's link) are very good. In black, & £48 (£3-4 lower) delivered from click here.

Also consider a Logitech Z-4 set for £45 click here or click here. G

GaT7 17:32 12 Nov 08

Nice find iqs - they're £26.59 online now but free delivery. G

mufcrbest87 17:48 12 Nov 08

click here

I have found these but im not sure one to buy any ideas?

Stuartli 18:11 12 Nov 08

On-board sound chipsets from Realtek or C-Media are, in fact, very good these days.

I currently have a Realtek chipset but, prior to that, a C-Media 8738.

The C-Media was temporarily disabled when I was given a Creative SoundBlaster Live! sound card but I realised, after a little while, that it couldn't match the openness and transparency of sound of the on-board equivalent.

So the SoundBlaster Live! sound card went to a good home and freed up a useful PCI slot.

GaT7 18:49 12 Nov 08

Personally I'd go for the Altec Lansing TVS4121 model, the Logitech Z-4 or Philips SPA7300 - in that order.

Btw, the Philips set is ~£15 cheaper delivered from click here (never heard of them, but they seem to be legit - see below*).

If you'd like to save a bit of money (from your £50 original budget), the Creative T3100 & Sony SRS-D21 sets for under £30 would do nicely. G

*Comwales info:
Their T&C: click here
Companies House info: click here
Whois domain lookup: click here
Their eBay store: click here

P.S. iqs, some of the newer motherboards (even the cheap ones for ~£40) are coming out with 7.1 HD integrated sound. I think one will only be able to tell the difference between these & a dedicated soundcard of Creative X-Fi quality & above.

iqs 19:04 12 Nov 08

My Foxconn MB had Realtek on-board sound,couldn't fault the sound to be honest,but with the creative sound card(5.1) fitted,I instantly heard a vast improvement.

But give it a new months and my set up will be considered legacy ...

GaT7 01:13 15 Nov 08

Two more sets into the mix....both are £30 delivered:

Hercules XPS 2.1 40 Speakers click here

Hercules XPS 2.1 Lounge Speakers click here

Website specs click here & click here (latter with reviews lower down). G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…