best laptops for £300-350?

metronomic 03:33 31 Aug 10

I've been looking around some sites but it's so difficult to tell what's good and what isn't, and reviews aren't that helpful as all laptops inevitably have some good and some bad reviews. So I thought I'd come here and ask for recommendations.

I'm essentially looking for the best all-around laptop for that budget. A good battery life would be nice also. Any recommendations and why they're recommended would be much appreciated, thanks

MAJ 10:24 31 Aug 10

It's difficult to get a laptop at that budget, metronomic, a lot of them will have a Celeron processor, which personally I don't like, or closer to £300 they will be a refurbished model. When you get up to £350, it's swings and roundabouts, what you gain on one you lose on another. I did look at the Acer Aspire 5732Z click here recently for a friend, if you can go the extra tenner. I liked it because I know Acer are a decent make, it has a dual-core Pentium processor, 3 Gig of RAM and a 250 Gig SATA Hard Drive, a 2.5 Hr battery like which is average I think. As I said, it's swings and roundabouts, you'll maybe get a webcam on others with 2 Gig of RAM or maybe a smaller Hard Drive. Decide what's most important to you in a laptop, is it large storage space, lots of RAM for multi-tasking and video processing, or is it a long battery life for those long business flights. Narrow it down that way. Remember though, at the budget, you're not going to be playing high-end games on it.

metronomic 13:04 05 Sep 10

thanks for the response MAJ

looked around PCworld and Staples today and realised you're right, for that kind of price they're generally a bit rubbish but that Acer you linked is definitely better than what I saw in the shops so thanks a lot. I'm going to look around a bit more online but I may well end up going with that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5