Best Laptop for £400?

attwoodc 16:22 22 Jun 08

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a laptop in the next month or two, in readiness for me moving away to university.

It wont be for the commute as such, it'll probably just be on a desk, so I think I would prefer a larger screen over portability.

I do like to play games on my home PC, but not to a great extent, just a bit of AOE3 and Total War Series every now and again. It's a very old PC, that just struggles through with this type of game, so if the laptop i'm looking for could play games, that would be a bonus. But it wouldn't have to be to a high standard, as im used to a bit (a lot!) of lag.

Budget is pretty much set, but i suppose i could be flexible with an extra £20/£30.

Thats basically it I guess! I'm not very up to speed with matters of this kind, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

day2strike 17:55 22 Jun 08

I suggest you try either Morgan Computers @ click here
Or try Novatech @ click here
BUT £400 for a decent Laptop & to play games on is tight in your budget!!

Acx 00:38 23 Jun 08

Dell could be your best bet. A friend just got one and it is a very nice Laptop.
click here

We chose the basic £429 and upgraded a bit to £499 (Processor, hard drive and colour mainly - the colour upgrade looks free now) but even if you don't its still very reasonable as it stands.

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5550 - 1.83 GHz
2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
Integrated Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator X3100
8x DVD+/-RW
£429 includes delivery (I believe).

The X3100 graphics is OK at older games (it runs Sims 2 well on my friends laptop), its not the best grapics, but at £400 there isn't much else.

Covergirl 12:25 23 Jun 08

Currys, Comet, PC World all stock laptops from £300-ish.

I've just bought a Samsung R60 which is quite a nice piece of kit, but I noticed loads at £400 so the choice is yours (so to speak).

Just make sure you get around 2Ghz processor, Vista Home Premium and 2GB RAM. If those games need a graphics card you'll need to factor that into your choice too.

Configuring a 1525 from Dell can give you a different answer each time (my experience) and everything you add bumps the price up a little bit so don't be suprised at getting your desired spec quoted at £600 if you're not careful. Ha !

Also take a good look at viewing angles and reflections on the display if that's important to you.

Best of luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…