Best - ISP for reliable download speed

Diemmess 18:10 09 Jan 09

See click here for previous ramble.

Facts

Aol for years and years from dialup days

Live miles from piped connection but 0.5ml from BT exchange.

Was happy with long expired contract for 2Mbps no cap and £9.99

Set up my own router and updated the software.

From about the time iPlayer went online, the service has collapsed late afternoon to as low as 28Kbps. At this moment 385Kbps.
Mozilla at the same time is about 1k above that.
Every morning I can download at 2110 and once, due to a lapse by the ISP saw a giddy 4600 all day!

BT reports that I should be able to reach 6.6Mbps.

Aol are a shambles of their earlier days, but I still like their email services.

What to do?

1.) Firefox for browsing and Aol for email (as I do at present)

Or change to another SP which comes closer to what they promise (Higher cost acceptable).

2) The difficult one.... If I sign up with Aol for more initial speed 8Mb which at best would give me 4-6Mb, what would early evening be like.. 1Mbps is just not acceptable.

RobCharles1981 18:37 09 Jan 09

Hey there,

If your not happy with your current ISP I suggest you move away completely, you can still use the AOL email if you wish.

When I was an AOL customer I got fobbed off from Pillar to Post past around different departments then you have to explain your problem to another idoit in India.

I seeked advice from the members of the dslzoneuk website.

I joined Falconnet (Enta Reseller) Who where very good, I left them and I joined ADSL24 who are simply stunning (Enta Reseller)

For 30/300 of usage allowance a month, No Port Blocking no traffic shaping. UK Based Support all for £19.99 a month with 8 Meg ADSL Max - its the best move I've ever made as I have no other services available in my exchange I get the full 8mb! :-)

It basically all depends on your Line Stats what modem/Router Do you have?

These are my line stats:

rdave13 20:05 09 Jan 09

Diemmess, seems you're coming to the end of your tether with AOL. I don't blame you as you seem to be given the runaround by them and for some time.
My 2Meg speed is still good but I keep an eye out for other good threads for ISPs- just in case.
click here , for instance. If I decided to change then personally I'd go with RobTheOrganGuru's ADSL24 first as it's a monthly contract. O2 second choice and UK Online as third simply as you have to buy a router for near £50 and I have two already.
I really don't know what would happen if you decided to upgrade with AOL to 'up to 8Meg' and find yourself tied to an 18 months contract. I wouldn't personally but it's just my thoughts.

rdave13 20:12 09 Jan 09

I should add that I'm just over a mile from the exchange (not LLU) and O2 and others show my line only supports 3 Meg.

wiz-king 21:18 09 Jan 09

I vote for UKonline click here I have been a customer for many years, first on dialup now on broadband.

jellyhead 22:19 09 Jan 09

Been with O2 for nearly a year and had great service.
click here

RobCharles1981 00:09 10 Jan 09

Some good options there, O2 is supposed to be the dogs dinner, Ukonline also but are LLU or u can get IP Stream.

What does samknows say you can get at your exchange?

click here

Diemmess 11:59 10 Jan 09

Some very useful info. thank you.

I've spent the best part of an hour looking at small print!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Congratulations, you are in a broadband enabled area.
However, there is another service on your phone line (e.g. ADSL, LLU, DACS, etc) that would prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection.
The following services are available in your location:
BT Wholesale ADSL
BT Wholesale ADSL Max
Please select the options on the left for more information about broadband availability at your location.

6 Mbps max Contention ratio 50:1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I stay (coward's way out)I can manage clumsily with Firefox for browsing and AOL for email.

And that is the crux of the problem, EMAIL...

I can see only tears and frustration as I try to rescue old email and notify a host of people of changed address. I do quite a lot in local community work and my address book is important.

Kevscar1 12:10 10 Jan 09

If you click on file there should be an option to export all your contacts. Then when you have changed just import them.

RobCharles1981 14:21 10 Jan 09

Hey Diemmess

So there are no LLU Providers where you are am strong advice join ADSL24 you will not be disapointed, maybe a little bit more but as the old saying goes "You get what you pay for"

What router/modem do you have and post your full line stats up for me?

Diemmess 18:40 17 Jan 09

Have spent a lot of time in the last 7 days comparing and confusing myself in the process.

The result is not that surprising, particularly if all the options are compared as well.
It often comes down to personal rather than financial differences and choice.

This evening, deep breath and phoned AOL for my MAC.
Surprise surprise, I only had to say I wanted to leave and I was transferred to an understandable Irish voice.

Quite a lot of chatter but the upshot is that I will have 8.0 Mbps instead of 2.0, @ £15.99/month and no contract to shut me in.
(The No-contract clause was confirmed in an eamil since received)

This is their last chance, I will give AOL a month to show it has worked.
I can still ask for my MAC if there is no significant improvement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…