Best free programs out there

Totally-braindead 21:32 23 Nov 06

I'm fairly sure we've had this before but I thought it might be reasonable to refresh my memory incase theres anything good out there I've missed.
Whats the best free programs you have seen/used.
I'll start it off if you don't mind.

AVG anti virus click here and Zone Alarm firewall click here. Ccleaner a brilliant program for getting rid of the rubbish left on your PC click here and 2 graphics programs Picassa 2 click here and FastStone Image Viewer click here.

mammak 21:47 23 Nov 06

Hi have or have used all but one of the programs on your list being the last FastStone never used that,
but having used Zonealarm for some time would always have recommended it to anyone (still would)

but being a tage bored one day I took up a recommendation by Technotiger and installed it on one pc click here
it is so far an excellent firewall very network friendly easy to use and understand and after only a week I am overly pleased with it.

ezypcy 21:59 23 Nov 06

O dear not again.
The AVG man at work.

Even the man from the company recently admitted that it was a bit behind the paying pack.

Al94 22:02 23 Nov 06

Good source for free programmes here click here

hzhzhzhz 22:03 23 Nov 06

Javacool Spywareblaster
AVG
CCleaner

Nothing very exciting,sorry,just 3 excellent programs that I heartily recommend.

mammak 22:09 23 Nov 06

what do you mean ?

ezypcy 22:32 23 Nov 06

braindead just loves AVG chat.

Kate B 23:19 23 Nov 06

AVG is great - it's kept my machines clear for years. If you're paranoid that it's not doing a good enough job, do an online virus scan.

Kate B 23:21 23 Nov 06

Oh, and on other excellent free programs, my favourites are Firefox click here Thunderbird click here the Gimp click here Nvu click here

Forum Editor 23:23 23 Nov 06

I'm going to move this to Consumerwatch.

Stuartli 00:15 24 Nov 06

I like FileHippo but click here offers a new and very comprehensive choice of new software and updates every day, as does MajorGeeks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017