Best free antivirus?

Thurrafork 10:57 25 Mar 08

Hello all
I'm finally getting rid of my McAfee bloatware and was just wondering is AVG still regarded as the best free AV?

birdface 11:10 25 Mar 08

I think AVG is the best.A lot of others go for Avast.I have been using AVG for about 4 years and cannot fault it.I have also tried Avast which I was not that keen on.But I think those are about the top 2.Unless you hear different.

birdface 11:16 25 Mar 08

I have never tried this but it may help get rid of McAffe permanently. click here

Thurrafork 11:40 25 Mar 08

Thanks for the reply buteman.
I never knew that the removal of McAfee would necessitate a special pregram. Obviously a simple uninstall from add/remove programs is insufficient?

961 11:53 25 Mar 08

To avoid trouble you need to download the removal tool and then ensure McAfee is totally shut down before following the removal instructions. A simple uninstall will often leave stuff behind which will conflict with your new anti virus.

Because of all this it is a good idea to download but not install the files for your new anti virus. Certainly with Avast it is possible to download and save the programme files and the latest virus definition files so that after McAfee is removed you can reboot and install Avast before connecting to the internet, thus avoiding the chance of picking up a virus while the computer does not have anti virus installed

^wave^ 11:59 25 Mar 08

i have used avg for years never had a problem

Thurrafork 13:26 25 Mar 08

Thanks for your help folks - I'll probably go with AVG. But just as a matter of interest, what would you say is the best subscription antivirus? I mean, McAfee worked but monopolised to much system resource, I gather Norton has the same problem, are there any good ones?

961 15:11 25 Mar 08

In my view you are better using free anti virus, Avast for me, AVG for others, and paying for a good spyware product such as Spyware Doctor. I have not found a free anti virus to be deficient in any way

birdface 15:32 25 Mar 08

Nod32 is supposed to be the best.I think that you can get a months trial with it before you have to buy it.click here

Woolwell 15:37 25 Mar 08

For paid for anti-virus I quite like Kaspersky or BitDefender. The BitDefender deal for 3 PC's is quite good and Kaspersky requires quite low system specs.

pchelper001 15:52 25 Mar 08

Give Avira Antivirus a go...

click here

It is free for personal use, and it is extremely good and i believe it has been highly regarded in computer magazines (possible PCA, cant remember)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac