Best digital camera for under £150

Phate 07:36 24 Jan 05

Am looking for a digital camera for £150 or less - something that can take good quality pictures and also has decent storage space.

All recommendations welcome.

Thanks in advance,

961 09:41 24 Jan 05

Most important is lens quality. Without that everything else is a waste of time

If you want the best for that sort of money try Canon Powershot A75. At Jessops for £169, although you may find it cheaper on the internet. (Jessops will price match) You'll need to buy a compactflash memory card as well, suggest 128Mb size so that you can take plenty pictures on one card.

If you can't stretch to that, then Jessops have a Canon A400 at £129

Best advice is to go and try these in the shop comparing them with other makes.

Sibbo 09:59 24 Jan 05

I've seen pictures from the camera below and they are excellent, but you will need a larger memory card.

click here

anchor 10:01 24 Jan 05

I would agree, the Canon A75 would be an excellent choice; review here:

click here

Try to get Jessops to price match £144.95 here: (take a print out)

click here

Good price CF cards here: click here

Phate 11:48 24 Jan 05

Will probably go for

click here

seems to have the cheapest price

Thanks for the help

Stuartli 13:07 24 Jan 05

You should never buy a digital or any other type of camera merely on appearance and specification.

Go to Jessops, as advised, and check out a range of models from the top brands in your price band, ensure that you get an optical zoom lens (a digital zoom can occasionally be useful, but this can be done with photoediting programs in any case) and, most importantly, handle and try out the various cameras for feel, ease of use and comfort.

I recommend Jessops to try out equipment because the firm will usually price match, otherwise it would be very wrong merely to do so and then perhaps go elsewhere, such as online, and order a camera at a cheaper price.

The Canon mentioned earlier, the A75, and similar models from other makes are excellent (I have experience with the A70) and it will mostly be a case of what suits you and your requirements best.

anchor 13:18 24 Jan 05

An excellent choice, at a very good price. Don`t forget to get an extra compact flash card.

Tenacious Green 20:21 24 Jan 05

Canon A75 was my choice after hours of research and I got it from Jessops on a Price match from E-buyer (They wont price match Pixmania as their French).

It is a brilliant, versatile camera that offers sound automatic functions for the novice, but also offers good manual options for the more experienced. The quality of photo is outstanding and if battery life with rechargables is very good too. (Dont waste your time with normal disposable batteries. Jessops own rechargables are good. The software that comes with it is also very good.

Go on dive in and enjoy the wonderful world of Digital Photography.

Kodan 06:18 25 Jan 05

I got myself a Ricoh Caplio RZ1.

I wanted a pocket digicam, to supplement my rather bulky "main" camera.

The RZ1 has a 4 megapixal CCD thingy, and a wide angle to portrait focal length zoom lens (28-105). It also focusses down to about 1 cm in macro mode. And most important of all for a quicksnap camera, its start up time is very short - I don't want to witness a bank robbery only to find that the camera takes 4 seconds to ready itself.

It cost me 140 pounds in the sale at a local "real" photography shop, and I got a chance to compare it with others, like the Pentax Optio 33WR, which is also good because it is water resistant.

Somehow the Canon A75 looks bulky to me, and I wanted a tiny camera to slide in my pocket.

But all 3 are well reviewd, and it is vital that you go and have hands on experience of any camera you end up buying. Try to look at the Fuji F700 at Jessops, for example, it is very good value now there is a more recent model. (the F710)

But I lubs my little cappy, it goes everywhere with me now.

Phate 13:29 30 Jan 05

Again thanking you for your input.

Just checking through my postings and laying to rest and threads I have left.

Another fine example of great forum spirit :)

anchor 09:49 02 Feb 05

Just read a review in another magazine, and this was their best buy.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…