best computer for around £1000?

saintorsinner 18:36 11 May 06

I am looking around for the best computer thats not pentium based (feel like a change). I dont want Mesh because of obvious problems with customer support. Are eversham any good ? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
I want it to be able to play games but not a real GAMER machine. Just a good all round package that will hopefully last me a few years.I have never tried a non pentium computer is there much difference?

Totally-braindead 19:00 11 May 06

Would you consider building your own or at least partly building your own as in a barebones system where they have already picked the board and memory etc or do you want a computer you just plug in and use?

Totally-braindead 19:06 11 May 06

I was thinking about something like one of these click here all branded components selected so they will work together and then you just buy the extras you need to complete it if you're not using your existing monitor keyboard etc. And the construction guides good too.

saintorsinner 19:27 11 May 06

I hadnt thought of a self build as I plan on giving my own computer to my daughter. I was really thinking of a plug in and use.

saintorsinner 19:35 11 May 06

I just had a look at the barebones systems - what processor would you recommend?

Totally-braindead 19:38 11 May 06

Ok fair enough how about click here or perhaps click here you could also look here click here and perhaps here click here also click here Whatever you do get make sure it has a PCI Express slot for the graphics and supports SATA, better still SATA II.

saintorsinner 19:48 11 May 06

You have certainly given me some food for thought I will have a good look later and let you know how I get on.
thanks for you help

Totally-braindead 19:48 11 May 06

Too me a while to type it. Well I wanted a dual core AMD at Xmas but couldn't afford it so got a Athlon 64 3500+ with the intention of getting a dual core when it dropped. If you can get a dual core within your budget then fine otherwise I'd look for a minimum 3500 processor if AMD or a 3.5 ghz Intel equivalent.
Regarding systems the Novatech ones aren't bad and I do like the look of the Komplett systems. Actually just popped off to look at the Komplett systems again and they look very nice indeed and when you click on the buy you can configure upgrades rather easily.

saintorsinner 20:03 11 May 06

I have only ever had two computers both Dell's with pentium processors so I was thinking of trying an AMD processor for a change.

Totally-braindead 20:42 11 May 06

The only thing with the Komplett Gamer PCs is in order to reach the £653 they quote you have to alter a lot of the items the actual price is £951 so its beginning to look to me as if its not such a good deal.
Looking at the Novatech ones I quite like this click here would have to add a monitor and speakers and I'm not sure if it comes with a keyboard and mouse but even supposing you have to buy that it should still come in under your budget.

dontmeshwithme 21:24 11 May 06

Using click here I can get an AMD 3800x2 with 1GB RAM, 320GB SATA hard disk, DVD+RW and DVD-ROM (both 16x), X1300 graphics, 6 channel sound, XP home, 17" TFT and 1 year RTB warrenty for £807 delivered. Each machine is built to order so any of the specifications can be changed to suit your needs. I can't tell you if they are any good on the customer services front, but after finally getting a refund from Mesh (another story!) I placed an order with this company last night. Will let you know how I get on!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…