best cheapy printer

whatsupdoc 16:08 21 Apr 04

i need a cheap printer ie around 50 pounds.
my children are always printing off pages from cbbc site etc. its always in draft but im fed up off epson prices and wondered what is the cheapest printer but also the cheapest ink replacement for it. it doesnt have to be good quality as i have a colour laser printer at work i use.

wee eddie 16:19 21 Apr 04

Most cheap printers cost a fortune to run - buy the current Computeractive for an idea of the comparative costs.

You should be able to get cheap ink for the epson.

Stuartli 16:32 21 Apr 04

You could try a cheap Samsung laser printer instead - one of its models was on special offer recently at around £50 at PC World or similar outlet.

spuds 17:17 21 Apr 04

That's the problem with present day printers, cheap to buy, but expensive to maintain. When you look at some of the offers on the internet or the likes of PCW superstores, printers for £29.99 you think that you have a bargain, which is true. But when you look at the price of cartridges the bargain is no longer there.

Laser printers are selling very cheap, but again £50 will be needed for a replacement cartridge.

Buy the ink and fill your own for the cheap way!.

961 18:08 21 Apr 04

First, buy an HP. The models tend to change every 6 months or so at which time the old ones are sold at up to half price. You'll get one for £50 or so and they produce good results.

Once the cartridges in the printer are used, buy compatibles from somewhere like System Insight, Mouse2House or Choicest Stationery. They are full of ink, as opposed to the HP ones which are less than half full, and the results are absolutely OK.

Remember you get a new print head with each cartridge with HP

pj123 18:36 21 Apr 04

Still think the Epson printers are the most economical to run. I have Two Epson printers. C44UX and Photo 895. Replacement in from Choice Stationery is no more than £3.50 providing you go for the "Double quad pack".

pj123 18:49 21 Apr 04

Sorry, should be "replacement ink"

Eastender 20:01 21 Apr 04

I've just bought a Canon i250 and it's a little cracker click here and put i250 in the search, read the reviews and even better, scroll down and have a look at those cartridge prices.

If you want edge to edge and a page catcher go for the i350.

Brazils 23:17 21 Apr 04

I echo your comments.

Stuartli 08:59 22 Apr 04

Replacement Jettec cartridges for my eight-year-old, still as good as new, Canon BJC600e cost £1.70 each plus VAT (four including black) and a double capacity black is £2.05 plus VAT.....:-)

I used to refill it but, apart from it being a very messy pain at times, the replacement/compatible cartridges are so cheap it's not worth it.

The Canon has never, in all the heavy use it has undergone, missed a beat and all it has ever required replacing are spent cartridges.

It's still as quiet and vibration-free as the day it was bought (£340 plus VAT at Makro), sits on top of my system case and proves that buying Mercedes standard build quality pays off with a long and trouble-free lifespan.

computernerdiamnot 11:33 22 Apr 04

cracking printer is a four ink but prints like a six ink printer bci24 ink cartridge compatible £3.99 for double pack colour about a quid or so more than black original just slight more rated highly by computer mags, i am self employed in the financial field and print out like crazy one black ink should last for 200pages in normal mode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…