Best In-car laptop chargers

AndreaS36 12:52 31 Mar 15

Hi there

I'm going on holiday in my camper van and am looking for the best means to charge my Lenovo laptop and Nokia mobile phone.

I would prefer a solar charger (particularly if there is on with a panel that fits on the dashboard) but a cigarette lighter version would do.

Any advice/tips?

AndreaS36 08:51 01 Apr 15

Thanks - what is an inverter and what does it do?

wee eddie 09:44 01 Apr 15

I drive a Taxi and, because of the booking system I use, it has to be plugged into the cigarette lighter permanently.

Those chargers are as cheap as chips. Almost any Garage or Supermarket will sell you one. The last one I got off eBay was overheating so I stick to Tesco now.

Forum Editor 10:33 01 Apr 15

If you want a solar charger, this is the one to go for

Otherwise an inverter would be the way to go, as ßeta suggests.

onthelimit1 11:14 01 Apr 15

I use the cheap DC adaptors, mentioned by wee eddie, that take 12V and convert it to the 5V used by all USB devices. - I don't quite see the point of changing DC to 240v AC and then back again. Perhaps someone will enlighten me!

onthelimit1 08:50 02 Apr 15

Beta. Yes, of course. I missed the laptop charger bit, so inverter is the way to go.

caccy 13:41 04 Apr 15

We have a small motor caravan, with only the vehicle battery for power and use an inverter to run a laptop, which doubles up as a TV, when we are an non-electric sites.

Ours is a 120/150 watt from Maplin.

As the amount of battery drain can be considerable ,up to 11 amps, I would also suggest that you use a battery level meter just to make sure you do not discharge your battery too far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…