Best brand of Digital Camera?

user8 11:34 26 Feb 09

For to long I've used the camera on my Nokia 6330 mobile phone!
Time to buy a digital camera & looking up to about £200.
Would go over budget by £20 odd if a really good bargain.
Would prefer buying from the High Street than on-line if possible.
Not sure what make to go for etc so any advice would be welcome.

jack 14:03 26 Feb 09

Stick to mainline makers - Canon/Nikon/Sony/Olympus/Fuji/Kodak
as in this price bracket much of the stuff on offer are badged 'generic' from nameless factory's in the far east.
You could also up the value by going for 'last weeks' technology rather than the latest whiz bang on offer
Firms specialize in discontinued models at reduced prices whilst they are still on sale in the catalogues at full price
take a look at click here

123joey123 15:24 26 Feb 09

I've bought an Olympus E340 on Ebay. It's an SLR and takes good pictures. It costs more than you are prepared to pay but if you are patient and make several bids you can get a bargain.
Generally speaking you'll get more for your cash on Ebay and sticking to the main makers, as suggested by Jack, you will be covered by their guarantee.

HondaMan 15:26 26 Feb 09

Nikon and Canon,

I have a Nikon D3, D2Xs and a Canon G10. It is **almost** impossible to tell which photo was taken with which camera

interzone55 15:52 26 Feb 09

Look at Panasonic as well.

My sister bought a Panasonic camera (sorry, can't tell you which model) for £180 and it's fantastic quality, much better than my £130 Canon PowerShot.

P1d 16:27 26 Feb 09

Personally I use a Nikon DSLR, if you're not wanting to go down the DSLR route then I would definitely recommend Lumix (Panasonic).

Hope this helps.
P1d

iscanut2 16:35 26 Feb 09

Have a look at the Panasonic Lumix TZ5. Around £200, compact but has 10x optical zoom. Have just been using it for a month and very impressed.
click here

iscanut2 16:41 26 Feb 09

Have a look here

click here
ue0.html

click here

iscanut2 16:42 26 Feb 09

Sorry about the broken link..

click here

canarieslover 17:17 26 Feb 09

Before you commit yourself to any camera first decide what you are prepared to carry around with you. I bought myself a nice digital SLR and my wife got a compact camera. Yes, I get good photos with the SLR when I can be bothered to carry it around, but my wife and I get very acceptable photos from her compact, and it gets used so much more because it is so convenient to slip into my pocket or her handbag. Lots of pretty good compacts with reasonable zoom lenses, from the usual well known names, just find one that you feel comfortable with. Suggest you look for one with a viewfinder as well as the screen as in bright light some of the screens aren't too easy to work with.

Stuartli 19:47 26 Feb 09

You can still buy quite a number of the Canon Powershot models, some with image stabilisation, for under the three figure mark, including the A560, A570IS and A710/720IS.

Superb cameras and they also have a proper viewfinder.

Some Amazon offers:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…