Best bank savings interest rate?

so3003 19:41 26 Feb 03

Slightly off-topic, but maybe someone could advise?

I'm considering changing my bank savings account, basically because I'm not convinced it's offering the best interest rate I could get.

I'm currently operating an internet savings account with Egg, paying 3.75% gross PA (ie base rate).

Requirements are basically that I want a set interest rate that isn't a bonus rate and isn't dependent on not making any withdrawals; want relatively instant access to my account (ie not a 30day notice account but I'll cope with a day or two transferring to my current account), and I'm happy to operate by phone, post or internet.

Anyone know anywhere that fits the bill?!

Thanks for your help! :-)
Scott

bvw in bristol 19:58 26 Feb 03

Try the "This is Money" site, should help you decide what's best for you.

click here

tran1 20:32 26 Feb 03

Cahoot is often mentioned in money guides as a good high interest online bank. You can get more info on their website: click here

tran1 20:34 26 Feb 03

Fool.co.uk is also a good site for info on money matters. click here

Djohn 20:48 26 Feb 03

Also Marbles.com

so3003 21:48 26 Feb 03

I want a Cahoot account but I'm not 21 yet and they won't let me :-(

flick 23:57 26 Feb 03

Nationwide e-savings account is quite competitive at the moment - 4% I think, but this could change following the recent base rate cut.

You have to open a current account (flex account)which gives you a cheque book and cash card and through which you channel your savings into the e-savings account. It's operated entirely via the internet, but it does mean you can keep all your spare cash there until needed to provide funds for a cheque you've written or a cash withdrawal.

For someone whose financial needs are not complicated, I think it provides a pretty good all round service. My son who's at university, chose it as his first (proper) bank account and has had no problems with it.

One of the problems I have discovered myself from chasing after the best interest rates is that 'instant' access only really applies within the same banking organisation e.g. Lloyds savings account to Lloyds current account is instant, but Egg savings to Lloyds current account can take up to 5 days.

Dicmay 13:53 27 Feb 03

Moneyfacts have a great site you could check out. They have a great savings section giving you details of the best rates on many different types of accounts:

click here

Moneyextra are good aswell, altho u need to sign up 1st.

click here

Stuartli 14:06 27 Feb 03

Savings rates are so low at the moment that the difference between the very best available is so small as to be virtually meaningless, especially after the 10 per cent tax has been deducted.

A slightly better bet is a fixed bond rate - Northern Rock, for instance, has had these for a two or three year period with the facility to withdraw cash if you wish.

oresome 15:02 27 Feb 03

You would think in this electronic age, money could be transfered almost immediatley. In fact it takes around 5 days to credit a different organisation, although the amount is debited straight away. There is also often a daily transfer limit of £5000. These factors make moving money around for fractions of a percent interest gain hardly worthwhile even though it can be done on the PC at the touch of a button.

The 'instant' access description is a misnomer.

so3003 16:46 27 Feb 03

I agree, the financial industry really does need a wakeup call - doing anything takes days if not weeks, and I think you'd be lucky to find someone who hasn't at some point had some sort of mistake made regarding their account!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…