//some 3rd party need geo

Best Anti-virus software?

quaggydog 06:55 23 Aug 05

I am looking for an AV program that is suitable for a small business (rules out the free ones). It is to run on a 1Ghz 256Mb Win XP machine so (apart from security) the most important criterion is that it runs FAST. (I have heard that Norton AV might struggle on such a low spec). Any advise?

Osgerby 08:00 23 Aug 05

I sell Avast Pro to my Business customers in one case it runs on a 1.6 Athlon with 512 mb mem ok and can be found at click here

Diodorus Siculus 08:38 23 Aug 05

ClamWin Free Antivirus. GNU GPL Free Software Open Source Virus Scanner. Free Windows Antivirus. Stay Virus Free with Free Software.
click here

This is free for business users but has not as yet reached maturity; worth keeping an eye to nonetheless.

961 09:21 23 Aug 05

NOD32 has a reputation for running fast

However for reliability I suggest Avast. It has never let me down and the paid for version would suit you fine

961 09:22 23 Aug 05

NOD32 has a reputation for running fast

However for reliability I suggest Avast. It has never let me down and the paid for version would suit you fine

quaggydog 09:44 23 Aug 05

Thanks for the info so far. Very helpful.

Does anyone know of an "AV speed comparison" site that would cover the impact on system startup times?

The NOD32 site has some comparison tables (click here) but obviously it is not independent and doesn't appear to cover impact on startup.

Stuartli 10:33 23 Aug 05

I use Avast! (free version) - its icons are already in the system tray after booting up before I connect via broadband.

It also updates itself which is one less thing to worry about.

Stuartli 10:35 23 Aug 05

My best mate has used the free versions of AVG and now Avast! for a computer system which is used to access manufacturers' websites to download new price lists etc for a number of years without any setbacks.

DieSse 14:31 23 Aug 05

NOD32 is literally the best you can get.

It's got the best record of any in INDEPENDANT tests by The Viris Bulletin. click here

It is substantially faster and has less overhead on systems compared with any other AV (that has similar detection rates) - also as per The Virus Bulletin

It updates painlessly ( checks every hour on BB - but configurable) and the updates are small.

You years subs cover not just virus pattern updates, but also ALL program updates (no 2003/2004/2005 type updates to keep buying)

Normally very quick responses to queries.

As for performance in a real life situation, look on the NOD site about the tests run by a chap from a US College

DieSse 14:32 23 Aug 05

NOD32 is literally the best you can get.

It's got the best record of any in INDEPENDANT tests by The Viris Bulletin. click here

It is substantially faster and has less overhead on systems compared with any other AV (that has similar detection rates) - also as per The Virus Bulletin

It updates painlessly ( checks every hour on BB - but configurable) and the updates are small.

You years subs cover not just virus pattern updates, but also ALL program updates (no 2003/2004/2005 type updates to keep buying)

Normally very quick responses to queries.

As for performance in a real life situation, look on the NOD site about the tests run by a chap from a US College

DieSse 14:38 23 Aug 05

Re startup times - I can tell you that NOD32 has no apparent impact on startup times at all.

I should also add that it's heuristics are extremely good on finding new and unknown virus types - probably the best there is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…