Best 19" LCD monitor for photo editing for <£190?

Solgoth 19:21 03 Apr 06

Which 19" LCD monitor under £190 would be best in terms of colour accuracy, still picture quality, and contrast? Mainly I'll be using it to edit my photographs, use the internet, and sometimes watch films probably. Not going to be doing much gaming on it so I don't need a response rate of less than about 14ms (my dad's LCD has a 14ms and it's fine, even for games). The budget is quite tight, I would have definitely got a CRT by now if it wasn't for the fact that my current desk couldn't support a big CRT.

I was considering the Samsung 913N. Does anyone have experience of using this for photo editing? However, what put me off and has confused me about this monitor is that I saw it in a shop next to an Lg 1915s, which is lower spec, and not supposed to have accurate colours, and yet it seemed to me that the LG had better picture. The Samsung looked blocky and had a red cast and just didn't seem to be as sharp,refined or subtle as the LG. I've also heard the Samsung 913N has pretty poor viewing angles. I want as wide viewing angles as possible.

Would there maybe be some older, slower LCD screen for a low price that might have better quality than current budget 19" LCDS?

Another possibility apart from the low spec LG 1915s (also not as bright as the Samsung), is the similarly low spec Viewsonic Va902.

Anyone got any comments on those monitors or any other recomendations?

Joe R 19:27 03 Apr 06

Solgoth,

I have used the Lg 1915s, for over a year now, and have had no problems whatsoever, with my picture quality, colour pallette, and have had very good quality results with gaming and video.

My daughters have just bought this model here, and are very pleased with it so far. click here

siouxah1 20:49 03 Apr 06

click here

If the budget is tight then you might like to have a look at the above screen.Digimate L1925. Been using it for a month or so now.

It is somewhat bright when first set up, but with the nvidia controls is easily set up.

The did do a dead pixel check for a fee. This helps if you want a screen guaranteed to be 100%.

I find it quite acceptable for photo editing. It seems to match my printers quite well. That is without any effort to match the colour spaces.

Brian.

Stuartli 20:55 03 Apr 06

My son bought the same monitor from the same source a few weeks ago and is equally delighted with it. Just one dead pixel.

Also it includes a DVI cable which is worth £15-20 on its own.

siouxah1 20:56 03 Apr 06

Solgoth,

My grammar seems to be lacking.
It is somewhat bright --- nvidia controls is easily corrected.
The did --- They do a dead pixel check for a fee.

I had a dead pixel - white - on a previous screen. It was most intrusive and annoying when editing photos. Seemed to draw the eyes straight to it.

Brian

Stuartli 21:49 03 Apr 06

White?

Sapins 22:12 03 Apr 06

White, obviously frightened to death :-)

siouxah1 23:09 03 Apr 06

Stuartli,
Don't know how an LCD makes white, perhaps it is red/green/blue stuck on. So perhaps it is three stuck sub pixels.

There were a further three pixels, or sub pixels stuck on over a wide area. One red, one blue and one green.

These were not at all intrusive and I would have had to look hard to see them.

Tried the massage treatment but to no avail.

I might add that this refers to an ACER AL 1912 and not the Digimate that I referred to in my first post

Brian

Stuartli 23:39 03 Apr 06

Possible dead pixels cures:

click here

click here

Solgoth 23:57 04 Apr 06

Thanks for your recommendations folks. The digimate one's spec is quite good but it's not a brand I've heard of..

I went back to look at the LG 1915 and the Samsung 913N again today and I still think the LG has the sharper picture, with better, more subtle colour. But I noticed the Samsung monitor had better detail in the shadows, whereas the Lg's shadows tended to be pitch black instead of showing shadow detail. As I frequently take pictures with shadowy bits, being able to show detail in those areas is important to me. Is it likely to be a feature of the contrast ratio? The Samsung has a 700:1 contrast ratio whereas the LG's is 500:1. Could it maybe be how the contrast was set up?

Totally-braindead 00:11 05 Apr 06

Since picture quality/colour appears to be very important to you and I personally think this is quite a subjective thing, by that I mean I can look at something and think it fine but someone else may not like it, my suggestion is to go round PC World, Currys, Dixons etc and see what they have on display and you personally prefer.

I myself have a 17" Digimate bought from Aria and am very happy with it, no dead pixels good colour ( as far as I am concerned) and no ghosting when looking at fast moving images.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced