Being charged duty for Vista upgrade

Wildthingy 22:29 14 Oct 07

Being charged duty for Vista upgrade

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just received a import vat AND / or duty invoice from DHL on a Dell upgrade disc, I recieived 6 months ago.

breakdown as follows

Suppliers invoice value £22.96
Freight Value £37.35 (?)
Value for customs £60.71

Customs rates Free
customs duty payable £0.00
Excise duty payble £0.00
Vat adjustment £7.19

Value for vat purposes £67.90

Vat £11.88
Admin fee £1.25

Total payable £13.13

Has anyone else recieved this type of bill?

My upgrade cost about £30 + VAT which, I paid for

dms05 08:51 15 Oct 07

Where was the product shipped from? EU / USA / Other?

Did Dell provide a complete service (ie inclusive of freight)?

Did Dell provide a full VAT invoice?

I'm sure DHL are simply following standard procedures. They will be charged by HMC&E for these sums and if the paperwork from Dell is incomplete then you look as if you are been charged for Dells errors.

You may well have to pay the invoived £13.13 and reclaim it from Dell.

However it's a minefield and I wish you luck in sorting it out. I'd be tempted to write the £13.13 off as a bad experience and not buy fron Dell again.

laurie53 10:24 15 Oct 07

Why have they waited six months before sending you this invoice?

Could be the mistake is with them, these charges are normally made on delivery.

spuds 10:46 15 Oct 07

Is there a telephone contact number for DHL on the invoice, if so, give them a ring and find out about the charge and delay in sending the invoice. From information gained,you may have sufficient claim to contact Dell.

124879 16:56 15 Oct 07

I just opened a letter asking for £13.13 - not very happy. I brought the laptop from Dell in the UK, it does not seem very fair that I would have to pay import duty. I did not choose to get the Vista disk posted from the US! It does say this on the bottom of the Vista upgrade e-mail

"For products that ship DDU, the seller's obligation is to deliver the goods to a named place of destination. The buyer is responsible for all costs and risks associated with the goods upon importation at the named place of destination. The buyer's responsibility includes import clearance of the goods and payment of any applicable duties, taxes and fees."

Still Cheesed off!!

dms05 18:09 15 Oct 07

'The buyer is responsible for all costs and risks associated with the goods upon importation at the named place of destination. The buyer's responsibility includes import clearance of the goods and payment of any applicable duties, taxes and fees.'

Explains it all. Your responsible and DHL is correct in recovering the money they have had to pay.

However I'd be very unhappy with Dell as they obviously aren't worried about anyone outside the USA.

Wildthingy 18:46 15 Oct 07

Spoke to DHL, they have put the invoice on hold, whilst they investigate the charge.

I brought this laptop in the U.K, if Dell choses to send the disk from the U.S.A, they should have made this clear at time of purchase.

Wildthingy 18:52 15 Oct 07

Credit Dell, received swift email reply.

Dear **********,

Thank you for contacting Dell Online Customer Care.

We apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

Issue summary : We have received an update from our internal department that customers were not aware that they should have to pay additional delivery charges (Duty) and this was not clearly messaged as part of the Vista Upgrade program, therefore we will refund the amount for the invoice which you have received i.e for £13.13. We would request you to please pay the amount of invoice which you have received from DHL.

My Actions: I have tried calling you on ********* and ************ as you were not there so could not inform you about this.

Please reply to my email so that I can raise the refund of £13.13 and this will be credited to your account.

I have also logged the conversation with the following details:-

Case Number: ************

I would like to let you know that I will now take ownership of this and keep you updated on the progress.

Regards,
Praveen Kumar
UK Customer Support Expert.

Totally-braindead 18:56 15 Oct 07

Well you can't say fairer than that can you? Must say I am a bit concerned that they will be charging everyone who bought a Dell with a Vista upgrade as thats a hell of a lot of money.

aine 19:49 15 Oct 07

When i applied for my upgrade DVD in febuary, i was charged £11+ pence for delivery. This was the total, payable at the time of application

Totally-braindead 19:56 15 Oct 07

Same as me aine but from what has been said on this thread if its a Dell the customs appear to be trying to get you as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Portable power and versatile design let down by expensive accessories and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best design TV series, films & documentaries

iPhone 7 Plus vs Sony Xperia XZ Premium comparison preview: Superb camera gives Sony the edge - on…