Beginner digital camera

amsjrt 00:41 11 May 03

Hi I am looking for a beginner digital camera (below £200) and have been checking for the best deal, but it seems new models keep coming out and get better and better. Do I should wait longer and the price will stabilise and just get one now?

If the answer is now, any recommodention of what model? At present, I have these models to compare:
Olympus Camedia C-300
Canon Powershot A70 or A200 or A40
Premier DC2302
Nikon Coolpix 2000
Kodak CX2410

Any websites for reviews or cheap prices will be appreciated!!

Tenner 01:13 11 May 03

Try these ( hope they are all camera related ! --- getting late & I'm off to my pit )

click here

click here

useful alternatives

click here

click here

click here

click here

hope they help, be sure to follow the links

Tenner 01:18 11 May 03

sorry, omit those under 'alternatives'( copied wrong list )

Mango Grummit 07:46 11 May 03

Whenever this question comes up you get people coming on extolling the virtues of the camera they use which always makes me think that these things are all much of a muchness within any given price range.

But anyway, for what this is worth, I have the Olympus C-220ZOOM which you are already considering and I could not be more pleased with it in every respect. Even my wife gets excellent results with it!! We've taken about 700 photo's with it since Xmas.

I bought a charger and batteries from Argos for about £15 to go with it. Very necessary is the charger.

Mango Grummit 07:50 11 May 03

Got that wrong -- you're looking at the C300, sorry, d'oh!

mikef™ 08:54 11 May 03

This thread click here has been running for the last week in the Helproom with the same request.

Tenner 17:03 11 May 03

With all due respect, if you place your cursor over <click here> and wait 2 secs, the URL is revealed ! You'll find you don't have to tell him again, the question's been asked twice - why repeat an answer already given?

Mango Grummit

" these things are all much of a muchness within any given price range." Check any decent Digital Photo mag, the methods of testing they use and their conclusions and you'll find they differ considerably within a certain price/Mp range.

As for human nature, your second paragraph says it all. Buy an item, no matter how expensive and one looks for the +ves to justify one's choice - otherwise it's tantamount to admiting failure. Hence the old expression 'they don't cry "stinking fish for sale" on the market'

Put it another way, are all computers 'much of a muchness' cos they are in the same price bracket ?

BrianW 18:50 11 May 03

I suggest you haunt PCWorld, Jessops and any other store that will let you play with the digital cameras for a bit. You need to find something that suits you (hand size, purpose etc) rather than something that others have found suits their needs. When playing, explain to the salesperson precisely what you want it for (close ups?, indoor shots? or what). I find it helps to have this written down so that you can give them a copy (stops the sales BS and also means you have a come back if they push something unsuitable on to you). Also have a read of the specs in things like PCA, Digital Photographer, whilst there are similarities at a set price, you will see that different models can have very different combinations of attributes. Once you have spent some time looking you can then start seeking the best deal available, confident you know exactly what you want.

Tenner 15:07 12 May 03

I agree - saw an HP camera in Staples and was truly amazed - it was like a brick ! Nothing like the advert would suggest.

IanNiblock 15:15 12 May 03

Have a look here - click here

they have extremely detailed reviews for most digital cameras, you should find it pretty useful.

karad 15:34 12 May 03

Hi, I have found click here to be excellent for buying a digicam. They are very reasonable. I purchased my Fuji S602 from them some 5 months ago and have had no trouble at all. I recommended them to my friend who also purchased her camera there finding a saving of over £70 on high street prices. They use a good insurance company who will give you an extended warranty at a very good price if you are interested.
I'm not going to go on about different models as it has already been said you need to find what suits you. As for waiting I think things are at a stage now that you have to be content with what you buy as next month there will ptobably be a new model.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…