Been sold a "used" MP3 player

SaraF 14:12 05 Nov 05

I recently ordered an Creative Zen 30gb Jukebox from an online retailer who are based in my locality, so I could pick it up.

After a week I got an email saying that they hadn't got it in stock and I could choose a replacement, which I did. Then 2 days later (today) I received an email saying my original order was in and ready for collection. When I got it home I discovered how they had managed to get one despite saying they had none in stock - there were 76 albums already on it, a little bit more than the sample music the instruction book indicates might be there. There was no indication on the site or in any correspondence that the product I was being sold was "used", "nearly new" or "as new" which it clearly is.

I presume I can return the player and ask for a refund but do I have any other options? Like can I ask why it was returned in the first place and ask for a discount because it was used?

Pamy 14:40 05 Nov 05

Hi, at this stage I think that you have to decide "what you want".

Do you want a brand new player as you originaly wanted?

Do you want a second hand player as supplied?

Or, do you want a second hand player with an as new guarantee at a reduced price?

The choice is yours, and a reduced price is for you to negotiate with the supplier.

Hope my comments help focus your mind.

Pamy

SaraF 15:06 05 Nov 05

Pamy,

Thanks. That's clarified my thinking. I've emailed them and I'll see what they say. I've used them quite a lot and I've never had a problem with them before, which is why I haven't named them - yet!

Stuartli 15:49 05 Nov 05

You are being asked to pay the new price for a used item - it should either be replaced as quickly as possible, your money refunded or a discount price negotiated if you feel you would be happy (you would need to discover why it was returned in the first place).

I had this experience once with a well-known online retailer who supplied two new iiyama 17in monitors.

One was clearly a returned item (it still had the business card of the company that returned it inside and all the packing had been opened).

I contacted iiyama rather than the retailer and to say the company was shocked would be an understatement.

By the next morning I had a brand new monitor delivered to the doorstep and the old one taken away.

jimmybond 17:10 05 Nov 05

it's annoying that you've been fobbed off this way - however, you do have 76 albumbs that you might not already own ;-))

Canis meus id co 00:28 06 Nov 05

And you still don't own them, even after buying the player.

jimmybond 00:56 06 Nov 05

you mean, just like music you've downloaded from napster isn't yours after you've stopped paying their subscription?
it was a joke, lighten up...

Pamy 23:01 08 Nov 05

So SaraF, what is the outcome?

Pamy

Jdoki 11:17 09 Nov 05

You may want to test the battery life against what Creative claim before deciding to keep the device.

The unt may be 'as new', but the battery is usually the first thing to go in mp3 device so it might be worth checking that it can get close to the manufacturers claim - it's unlikely to be exact, but within a couple of hours is usually a good sign.

Canis meus id co 13:04 09 Nov 05

I've never used Napster, as I like to have some hold over the music I purchase.

Oh, by the way, I thought jokes are meant to be funny. Could be wrong though.

DuncanG 13:46 09 Nov 05

Mate, it was an off the cuff joke which i think most people had a quick smile at. So stop making yourself look like a stroppy teenager with the sarcasm.

SarahF - you want to make sure u get an acknowledgemnt of your complaint ASAP, if it was me i would just return under the DSR and obtain a brand new player for the same price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…