Be careful with the garden spade!

Al94 21:32 10 May 04

Came across this one tonight click here Oops indeed!

wee eddie 21:52 10 May 04

He'll have to check his missives to establish exactly where his boundary is.

After all, if BT had lay'd their cable in the wrong place. They could be sued for trespass and he would probably have little problem.

However, if he had accidentally been extending his boundary. Even his Household Insurance might not cover him.

Not much fun!

dazzling (work) 21:58 10 May 04

do we not think that this is a thing that may happen when laying cables in peoples gardens and maybe they should protect such cables?darren

spuds 22:51 10 May 04

You will find that all the utility services will supply plans, as to their underground activities.But this doesn't guarantee that the little accident will not happen. Quite a few people, including digger drivers have found the odd high powered cable.Not a very nice scene.

Forum Editor 23:27 10 May 04

cables were laid in a hurry - many of them across the back boundaries of peoples' gardens, because it was a quick and therefore cheap way of doing it in heavily built-up areas. At the time I knew one of the cabling contractors, and he told me that miles of cable was laid "not very well, and not very deep".

Over the years, houses have been sold and there must be thousands of people who have no idea that telcoms cable is buried along their garden's back boundary line. This man was obviously one of them.

byfordr 09:37 11 May 04

I used to work with a chap who at onetime worked for a subcontractor who installed telephone poles (the wooden ones) he said they used to shorten them, and dig a smaller hole. Rather than take the time to put them in properly. I suspect theres loads of bodges out there.

R

Fordy 09:38 11 May 04

When I bought my bungalow 25 years ago it had a single precast concrete garage at the end of the garden next to a public footpath. I decided to build a double brick garage in its place, and a builder with a mini digger started to excavate the area. He came across a power cable 4 inches in diameter under the old garage.
The electricity board said it was the 25000V supply to the sub station servicing the housing estate at the top of the hill. I asked if they could bury it lower so that I could carry on with my building. They said there was no chance of allowing this to happen in case they needed access to their cable. The only answer was for the cable to be moved, the cost was hundreds of pounds per foot.
If they had been given permission to lay the cable there, even if it was when it was open fields, then I was responsible for the bill, if no permission had been given then they would pick up the tab.
Fortunately my deeds didn't mention it and they couldn't find anything in their records and so they moved it. It would have cost a fortune because they had to replace 100 yards of it as it had been laid in several neighbours gardens before rejoining the footpath.
It did delay my building project for over a year though

g0slp 12:44 11 May 04

25000v would have made the eyes water!

Stuartli 14:01 11 May 04

My telephone cable enters my property via a flower bed behind the front wall and was then routed under the lawn area to a housebox by the front door. It's been there since the early 1980s.

Since then the lawn has been removed and the whole of the front has been flagged....:-)

Can't see how BT will get compensation if it laid a cable that wasn't buried low enough to be out of harm's way or its existance was unknown to the house owner.

oresome 21:31 11 May 04

I used to work for one of the old cable TV company's some 30 years ago and remember tracing a cable fault that affected an entire housing estate. The cable ran underground across a moor which was in fact a largish public open space. The local rag and bone man had tethered his horse on the land for grazing and had driven the tethering spike right through the cable which was buried 18" underground. The chances of hitting the cable must have very slender indeed.
We also ran cables along railway cuttings.As the railways closed, the land was built on and we ran into problems as outlined above with householders doing a little DIY.
NTL today only lay subscriber cable a few inches under the surface from the pavement to the home.

pj123 13:45 12 May 04

The report in my local paper (Eastern Daily Press) with pictures show the fence post in question is well within the owners boundary. An inspection of the cable also shows no damage. Is this BT trying it on?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now