Be Aware Of This!!!

King Diamond 10:53 19 Jun 03

I received this e-mail at 3.00am -

Dear customer,

Recently we have received an order made by using your personal credit card information.
This order was made online at our official BestBuy website on 06/19/2003.
Our Fraud Department has some suspicions regarding this order and we need you to visit a special Fraud Department page at our web store where you can confirm or decline this transaction by providing us with the correct information.
This e-mail address has been taken from National Credit Bureau.

Click the link below to visit a special Fraud Department page to resolve the cause of the problem.
BestBuy.com/fraud_department.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ORDER# 1095619 - STATUS: SUSPENDED
ITEMS PURCHASED
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item No: 73890
CDA-9815 In-Dash CD Player/Ai-Changer Controller
Price: $387.65 Qty: 2 Total: $775.3
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The order listed above has not yet been processed.
The reason for the delay in processing your order is:

- UNVERIFIED SHIPPING ADDRESS

- Information provided:
Shipping
41 WINHAM ST
Staten Island, NY 10306
United States
phone# 206-337-9843

In our effort to deter fraudulent transactions, we need your help in providing us with the correct information. Your prompt response is needed to avoid any unauthorized charges to your credit card.

Click the link below to visit a special Fraud Department page to resolve the cause of the problem.
BestBuy.com/fraud_department.html

The link does not work and could be the work of a spammer, I have sent this to BestBuy.com and asked them to verify it. Unfortunately I clicked the link as credit my credit card fraud is a bit of a worry.

I'll let you know if I end up with loads of mail, but dont click on it till I have come back with an answer.

Cheers!

Gaz 25 11:00 19 Jun 03

If it is YOUR credit card, block it. Cancel your card.

I say. click here and click here

And a FIREWALL such as click here or a good Norton one.

It sounds like your card number has been stolen.

If it is NOT your card number dont worry,

Bye for now,
Gareth

©®@$ђ 11:03 19 Jun 03

it could be a con to try and get your credit card number be careful!

Bodi 11:05 19 Jun 03

Had the same thoughts. Will be interesting to see what, if anything, happens.

Bodi

Jester2K II 11:08 19 Jun 03

Hmmmm this seems funny to me. I wouldn't panic too much though. Ring the bank and explain whats happened for security reasons.

The e-mail says your credit card was used but how did they get your e-mail address?? Surely someone using a stolen credit card number wouldn't use your e-mail address too??

The link is indeed no existent and i can't see how a spammer would use this e-mail to confirm you have an active e-mail account.

Is you e-mail address distinctive? Could a genuine customer have entered the wrong e-amil address and when their order is held up due to UNVERIFIED SHIPPING ADDRESS you get the e-mail instead of them.

ardvarc 11:25 19 Jun 03

I would contact you CC Company and let them know the details of this so they can take precautions if this is a genuine attempt to use your account or gather info on your card. Send a copy of this e-mail to abuse@"your.isp.address" and see if they know about this scam.

King Diamond 12:08 19 Jun 03
  King Diamond 12:10 19 Jun 03

I have a ZA firewall that works alongdise my router that uses NAT, so I'm ok in that department.

Cheers!

Muslimat79 12:48 19 Jun 03

I bet it's just a method of getting your info. I think they've already got your card number and they need you to supply them the full details. The truth is if someone as they claimed tried to use your card, the person will not use your email address because he/she knows that order verification will come straight there. I think everyone needs to be very careful of what form one fills online.

Cancelling your card is the best idea mate.

fitshase 13:15 19 Jun 03

Who was the e-mail from (in the headers box)?

If you are in Outlook Express, go to your inbox, right click on the message, select properties and then select details.

This should tell you where it was actually sent from.

Looks like a scam where they would ask you to confirm your credit card number, etc.

Regards

Fitshase

King Diamond 00:08 23 Jun 03

Thank you for contacting Best Buy about this e-mail message. I'm Crystal with Customer Care.

We'd be happy to explain about this e-mail.

As of Wednesday, June 18, Best Buy became aware of an unauthorized and deceptive email to consumers nationwide titled "Fraud Alert" claiming to come from the BestBuy.com Fraud Department. This email, which requests personal information (i.e. social security number and credit card information), is NOT from Best Buy. We are working with appropriate authorities to quickly contain and resolve the situation. If you think you have been affected by this fraudulent spam, please contact your bank or credit card company immediately.

We want to stress that the privacy of personal consumer information is of the utmost importance to Best Buy.

At Best Buy, your privacy and security is of the utmost importance. You can feel safe in knowing that we will keep all personal financial information private and secure. BestBuy.com uses Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), an encryption technology that protects your credit card information. SSL encrypts all ordering information (name, address, credit card number) so no one can read it as it travels over the Internet. To view our security pledge, go to click here.

We look forward to your next visit to one of our stores or to click here. Please do not hesitate to contact us with additional questions or concerns.

Best wishes from Best Buy,
Crystal and the Customer Care Team

TRACKING NUMBER: A00001989324-00007511829

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017