BBC News 24-How Can I Improve The Picture?

Alan L 12:16 19 Jan 08

Hello and good afternoon.I enjoy watching BBC News 24 online but the picture isn't very good. I would like to know how best to improve the quality of the pictures please. Is there something I can do within Windows XP Home SP2 or would you advise some new software?

I thank you very much indeed for your kind replies.

howard64 12:23 19 Jan 08

try looking at your graphics card acceleration. Right Click an empty spot on the screen and properties then advanced. Click on troubleshooter and then move the slider to a different position.

Stuartli 15:16 19 Jan 08

Your TV card software (I presume you have a card) should include the means to separately adjust the brightness and contrast of the "TV" screen; this avoids affecting the normal monitor display settings.

BBV News 24 can appear to feature a dark display, but this seems to be more down to the main set and its lighting rather than any monitor involvement.

Stuartli 15:16 19 Jan 08

You might also try rescanning the channels in case News 24 is slightly off-tune.

realist 15:57 19 Jan 08

If you're referring to the web simulcast it's just best not viewed in full screen I find.

DieSse 22:38 19 Jan 08

realist is on the ball here - watching it online in a large window, or full screen, is never going to be great, as the pictures are streamed in very low quality. The bandwidth of a "TV" quality picture is far too high to be used over standard internet connections.

Totally-braindead 22:10 20 Jan 08

Have to agree with realist and DieSse here, its the same sort of video bandwidth as you get with the likes of YouTube videos and I'm afraid what you see is what you get.
You do get the option with the BBC to choose between Media Player and Quicktime from what I recall and I think theres an option for high or low quality so that might make a difference but as said if you try to watch full screen quite often the pictures just too poor but if you watch in a smaller window its acceptable.

Alan L 17:28 21 Jan 08

Thank you very much for your very kind help.Now that I realise its the picture and not my computer,I'll not persue a tv card! Thank you all again.Alan L.

roy 18:59 21 Jan 08

Hi,

A tv card is another kettle of fish. It is a tuner.
With it you will probably need an aerial and will receive live tv; you do not receive it online, you are making a tv of your pc.

muddypaws 20:22 24 Jan 08

I use this click here
Still a small picture, but clear.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…