Is this a bargain - buying advice needed please

Never again 20:33 01 Feb 06

I am buying a desktop replacement for general word processing and have about £900 to spend.

Is this reasonably ok click here

Any views on the manufacturer or retailer.

I've had a look for previous posts but there is very little, which is probably a good thing.

Thanks

PaulB2005 20:36 01 Feb 06

Look at Dell - you can probably spend a lot less than £900 for "general word processing"...

PaulB2005 20:36 01 Feb 06
  Never again 20:40 01 Feb 06

I've looked a dell but every time I navigate their menus the prices seem to change for the worst.
I am aware that thier sale ended today and so I suppose the prices will rise.

did you have ant dell model in mind.

I would prefer a 15.4 screen 1gb ram and a big hard drive.

....and its nice to have a few bells and whistles if its in the budget.

PaulB2005 20:55 01 Feb 06

15.4 screen

1 Gb RAM

80 Gb drive

£869 inc VAT and delivery.

Not much difference.....

Never again 08:33 02 Feb 06

There is so much choice out there.

I just wondered if there was any known major roblems with the company or manufacturers.

I know that dell have their share of complaints but they are one of the largest retailers in the world - so it is all proportionate.

My only fear with dell is their use of overseas call centres if things go wrong.

Dellman 21:12 03 Feb 06

Have you tried MESH???

Never again 00:10 05 Feb 06

I've been there and don't want to go there again.

Mesh are not for me.

My personal experience was very bad, but I appreciate that yours may have been excellent.

Joe R 11:14 05 Feb 06

Never again,

you could do worse, than have a look here. click here

Mr Mistoffelees 12:21 05 Feb 06

Having looked at Joe R's link I think the Razor Pro 15.4" M740 would offer you better value.

961 14:40 05 Feb 06

When you compare the number of sales against the number of negative posts you will find Dell are up there with the best

Evesham get good reviews for after sales apart from a glitch a year or so back

You don't need to spend anything approaching £900 for general word processing, internet browsing etc. £600 ample

If you already have a good monitor etc try Novatech for a basic system box...£400 max

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…