"Barebones"?

DannyOH 18:51 04 Jun 04

I have just come across a (professional) seller on ebay who sells "barebones" systems without any RAM. (Case, mainboard and cpu only.) This strikes me as a libertarian use of the term "barebones", especially where the absence of RAM is discreetly hidden amongst a profusion of blurb.

I have a mind to bring this to the attention of Trading Standards, but was just wondering if I myself just might be the one who is out of line here.

Isn't a "barebones" system one that contains (a minimum of) case, mainboard, cpu and Ram (only)?

Regards,
Dan O'Hanlon

johnsims 18:53 04 Jun 04

Thats what I would expect, and have purchased in the past.

computernerdiamnot 19:58 04 Jun 04

Try novatech they are doing some good deals and ram is included as well click here

Charence 21:31 04 Jun 04

That is how barebones are supplied. Only a few things such as Motherboard and PSU are supplied.

ste_bla 04:00 05 Jun 04

normally;

barebone - case/mobo/psu

mobo bundle - mobo/cpu/ram(sometimes)

Stuartli 10:10 05 Jun 04

Scan of Bolton (click here) does Asus, MSI and other major brands' barebones systems - usually all you have to do is add an HDD and processor (click here).

The Asus ones are very keenly priced (from under £100 to around £140, the MSI are dearer.

Occasionally its TodayOnly page has them at even lower prices (today, for instance, it has the Soltek cube versions).

BigPockets has been doing a Packard Bell system without monitor for between £279 and £300 upwards depending on CPU.

DannyOH 10:44 05 Jun 04

I think my point has been made.

Since "barebones" can mean anything at all--it means nothing at all. A "barebones"--"system" does not even have to be a "system" at all. If a dealer can sell as a "barebones system" something that will not even load an operating system to the point where it can actually be used (i.e., no RAM), how can that be legitimately described as a "system" at all? As things stand, a dealer could even legitimately describe a case and psu alone as a "barebones system".

With all the artfully described "system" specifications out there, it is far too easy to be suckered into buying--significantly--less than you think you are paying for.

D.O'H

wee eddie 10:54 05 Jun 04

If you are buying a Barebones system, you will, of course be adding a number of items to it.

I think most would expect a potential buyer of such a system to read the specification and base their purchase on that knowledge.

TomJerry 13:12 05 Jun 04

It is correct. For normal meaning in computer market worldwide, that is what Barbone means.

TomJerry 13:14 05 Jun 04

"Contact Trading Standards office about a Ebay seller". Are you kidding?

Stuartli 13:23 05 Jun 04

The original idea was that a barebones systme upgraded the mobo etc whilst your old system was used for the monitor, floppy, software etc.

No two Barebones systems manufacturers seem to tally in their interpretation, so the advice to study what you will get and the additional components etc cost to have a working system is the advice.

Evesham use to offer such barebones systems but dropped the idea quietly after a while.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac