barebone advice

computer novice 14:55 26 Mar 04

i am thinking of buying a barebone / shuttle system could anyone please advise me on the best value system under £200 ta.

edstowe 15:02 26 Mar 04

Think carefully and make sure one of these is really what you want. Fine is you want it for one specific job but the expansion capabilities are extremely limited.

medicine hat 15:55 26 Mar 04

This is probably the best place to get Shuttle's from click here I love my SK43G :-)

computer novice 08:58 29 Mar 04

what is the largest hard drive that can be put into one of these things?

medicine hat 10:38 29 Mar 04

5¼" wide

JerryJay 10:47 29 Mar 04

AMD or Intel?

JerryJay 12:08 29 Mar 04

For AMD, the most popular model has been SN41G2 click here, cost around £160, but make sure you get Version 2 which has 250W Silent X PSU and improved motherboard for better overclock support etc.

For Intel, I would go for ST61G4 click here, very good looking and quiet with ATI9200 class onboard graphics, cost around £200.

A lot of dealers sell Shuttle XPC, but better to deal with formal Shuttle dealers sucj as Microdirect click here (they got special deal for SN41G2V2 for £152 now) and Gemma click here.

Stuartli 14:22 29 Mar 04

You can buy slightly larger BareBone systems from Asus and MSI from click here from around £90 upwards to some £400.

Scan also has special offer prices on the same systems on a regular basis on its TodayOnly page - click here ; you would have to keep an eye on the page for these offers.

PurplePenny 18:14 29 Mar 04

I've got a Seagate 120GB in an SN41G2. That HDD happened to be on special offer, I'm sure I've read reviews with bigger hard drives.

Read some of the customer reviews on Ebuyer click here - they often say what they have put into the system.

JerryJay 19:13 29 Mar 04

PurplePenny, I got the same Shuttle and the same HDD (also from ebuyer) as you. Great minds think the same.

really matter what size drive you put in as long as it works with the BIOS fine

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…