bare esentials advice needed please,what to buy?

etheric 11:26 03 Mar 06

hi. I really need somebody's help. I have very little knowledge of computers.

Basically i want a computer, preferably laptop, but a desktop would be fine. What i want to use it for is to just go online, to get photos from a digital camera online and basic word processing. Maybe at some point i will want to download music. So the bare essentials, really.

Obviously, i want to spend as little as possible.

Can anyone help", recommend something?

thankyou. :)

Diodorus Siculus 12:10 03 Mar 06

When people ask to [quote]spend as little as possible[/quote] I usually direct them to Dell. But if your knowledge is low, Dell are not always the best option.

I buy most PC bits and pieces from click here including my current laptop and most of my current PC. Their prices are good and their customer service excellent.

You will need to buy a PC with Windows - preferably XP - but otherwise, no need to buy any software. You can get excellent office applications (openoffice), image manipulation (serif, irfanview), CD burning (deepburner) software free of charge as well as all the security softare you need.

Diodorus Siculus 12:11 03 Mar 06

By the way, if you want any (or all) of those sent to you on CD, please let me know.

spuds 12:14 03 Mar 06

If you want it basic at the lowest price, then any desktop or laptop advertised in the media at the lower price range will do. A visit to somewhere like PC World should perhaps provide the answer.

Price range £299.00 to £500.00.

Diodorus Siculus 12:31 03 Mar 06

I agree with spuds' view normally but quite often these cheaper machines are not suitable for beginners. Few nowadays come with recovery disks and the purchaser is expected to make them.

When spending a few pounds more on a machine from novatech / mesh / etc, you get a better sort of recovery procedure in the event of a problem.

Mind you, there is always going to be plenty of support available here at PCA:-)

etheric 19:56 03 Mar 06

thankyou, both of you, its very helpful.

But, haha, another question, ive seen 256 mb and 512 ,will the 256 be enough for my needs ?

i should have put this in my original post but.....

all help very appreciated.

thanks.

Totally-braindead 20:06 03 Mar 06

For what you say you want to do 256mb will be sufficient and will run ok. But 512mb is better, programs will open and run faster.

Diodorus Siculus 23:38 03 Mar 06

512 will make a difference with XP - I'd suggest it as a minimum given the price.

Dellman 18:03 04 Mar 06

You tried Mesh???

freaky 18:59 04 Mar 06

You have been given excellent advice, and are very wise to have raised this question on this forum.

If you buy a laptop then they are more expensive than a similar specification desktop PC. This is because they use miniatured parts - if any of these parts fail (which will happen now or later), then they are more costly to replace.

If you do not need portability, then buy a desktop from a reputable manufactuer - parts are relatively cheap to replace, and you can update the components to suit your future needs.

If you want value for your money, then I would recommend the link supplied by Diodorus Siculus i.e. Novatech.

Happy hunting !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…