Bank charge help scam afoot

jack 09:11 06 May 07

A message on my answer phone.
A male voice[one I thought i recognised] simply said call on 088000 517 733.
I was suspicious straightaway with an 08 number but I checked- usual recorded voice - something like
This is UK Information services[female voice]
Then a male voice offering help with Bank charge problems.
The tone and pitch of voice was the give away-He was obviously going to try to 'sell'
As I don't have such problems I hung up and and emailed TPS

STREETWORK 09:20 06 May 07

This is a bot like the accident insurance companies, no win no fee. It constitutes illicit advertising and you could report the problem to the trading standards...

rickf 11:18 07 May 07

Recieved one asking me to dial 1471 to get info. Deleted immediately as its a scam.

Pine Man 11:37 07 May 07

1471 will just give you the phone number of the last person to ring you?

BRYNIT 07:38 08 May 07

I live by the rule. Never return a call that just gives a telephone number unless its a number you know. If it is important they will always call back.

€dstowe 08:15 08 May 07

Be very careful with calls on the lines of:

"This is an important call from xxxxxxx. Press any key to continue."

I don't know what happens if you "press any key"* but it can't be anything to your advantage.

If it was an important call, there would be someone on the other end ready to continue it.

*Assuming you can find the "any" key (Homer Simpson).

Koochy 01:21 09 May 07

This was a scam a few months ago if memory serves correctly, when they say "press any key to continue" i think you got transfered to a premium rate number some of which were around £10 a minute.
I am sure there were a lot of people scammed with it i think one lady got a bill for over 800 quid (OUCH)

Koochy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video