Ban Firewalls

spuds 23:08 16 Apr 03

I understand that new proposal of legislation in eight US states, are thinking of making firewall software illegal. Alaska,Florida,Geogia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Massachusett, Texas and Colorado will ban technology that can "conceal" from communication service providers.It is also under discussion that the ban will deem illegal encrypt e-mail,which hides the to/from addresses of messages.

I wonder if the EU paliament have wind of this yet !!.

Forum Editor 00:00 17 Apr 03

In the present world security climate no government is going to stand by and watch people use technology to encrypt emails to the extent that the from/to addresses are hidden, and quite right too.

Likewise, nobody can possibly have a valid reason for wanting to conceal the fact that they have logged on to their ISP. It's like saying that you want the right to enter and leave a country without using a passport. If we want a safe world we have to abandon this silly idea that we all have the right to access the internet anonymously, whenever we like and for whatever purpose. Permit total email encryption and remove IPS login records and you will see Paedophilia flourish across the internet, even more than it does already.

It's the old story - if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear from disclosure.

vaughan007 08:21 17 Apr 03

This sounds like another law that can never be enforced properly.

If this software blocks your IP address, makes emails anonymous and means your ISP does not even know you are logged in. How will you know who is using it? Or indeed if they are using it?

I cant see why anyone should mind this info being known. After all, its not as if anyone will actually check it out unless you were suspected of doing something wrong. There is too many people on the internet to bother going through everyones records.

I agree, if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac