Backup, Back p, Ba k p, a k p, a p

Dragon Heart 23:59 20 Apr 04

In the latest issue of PCA is a letter from a fellow reader regarding saving photo's in digital format and the worry that in ten years time the disk format they are saved on will be obsolete with no drives available to read them.

OK lets say I started saving my digital photo's (and copies of photographs via a scanner) onto a set of floppy disks, then after a while I transferred them to a ZIP drive, then onto a JAZ drive, then onto a CD and finally onto a DVD. What file format will I have used .... BMP ? .... no too large ...... yes it's JPEG ..... but wait a minute how many times have I resaved these files using a 'lossy' file format !
Oh dear !

Even if I have a DVD drive in thirty years time will the DVD disk I used still be readable ? Oh dear Oh dear !

Anyone know of a gadget that puts digital photo's onto traditional negatives ?
Oh dear Oh dear Oh dear !

Falkyrn 00:08 21 Apr 04

The act of transferring the jpg images does not degrade them.

Only if you reopen the image in a graphics program AND then resave does the lossy compression take its toll.

However the reader does have a point in the way that computers have moved on over the years ... but then being a sensible user you do transfer your backups to new formats when you change equipment ..... dont you ? :-)

Sir Radfordin 08:48 21 Apr 04

There are companies now that can provide digital copies from 'old' media (cine tape?) so no doubt the same will happen as todays media format stop being used and we move on to newer and sometimes better technologies.

The only solution is not to use the technology that exists at the moment but that seems a bit pointless. "We" will learn how to adapt and keep records as we need to I'm sure.

zipman 10:26 21 Apr 04

Sir Radfordin, while on the same subject do you know of any company who can transfer a Betamax Video Tape onto VHS.

Sir Radfordin 10:32 21 Apr 04

This may be a good starting point...

click here

Have never had to do this so can't offer any recomendations. You could try the local copy of Yellow Pages (or one of the new 118 services!) or your local video club/film processing shop.

zipman 12:53 21 Apr 04

I will have a look at Google as recomended.Thanks for the help.

Graham ® 13:41 21 Apr 04

Jessops will do it click here

Southernboy 13:11 23 Apr 04

thousands of slides and negatives, going back to my first real camera in 1956. With only one exception (a roll of Gevacolor, a small company now part of Agfa) all are as clear and crisp, with no colour shift, as they were when first taken. All you need is careful storage in slide boxes or inert negative wallets.

I know this to be true because I recently had a cull and viewed every slide through a viewer, and every negative through a negative/positive viewer. Does technology reduce us to dealing in emphemera, with no regard to lasting qualities?

I recently read an article which stated that young people today regard any thing purchased as disposable withing 18 months!

Smallus Minimus 15:16 23 Apr 04

I realise this won't help Dragon Heart (sorry) but I WOULD like to compress all my jpg images! I was just wondering if there's an simpler way than opening each image indivually in a graphics program and then resaving (as Falkyrn mentioned)?

Aspman 15:53 23 Apr 04

Smallus Minimus

Some programs i.e. Photoshop and Photoshop elements have a batch function which lets you automate processes for use on whole folders of pictures. I don't know if other programs such as paintshop pro offer this.

Dragon Heart 23:10 23 Apr 04

Paintshop Pro will 'batch' say JPEG to BMP but why do you need to do so, just drag and drop from one file to another !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…