Back up devices (USB)

recap 20:12 05 Sep 03

Hi all,

I would be grateful for your advice on a back-up device similar to the Backup buddie. I have been asked to look for a suitable one for a colleague, one that he can just slip into his pocket and easy to use.

I have looked at a number of devices but because there is a whole range of them I cannot truthfully advise him on which to buy.

Your recommendations would be most helpfull.

recap

powerless 20:29 05 Sep 03

How much data are we talking of backuping here?

recap 20:44 05 Sep 03

He has data spanning 5 years all on floppy discs and wants to be able to put it all on one device. This data is constantly being used and added to. Plus it will be used for future data. So anything from 128Mb.

recap 20:48 05 Sep 03

Sorry maybe I should also add to that that he will be adding PDF files to this list. He is not that IT literate and did not realise that you can save PDF files, he always printed them off. Please don't ask.

bfoc 22:53 05 Sep 03

You give an idea of budget too?

That makes a huge difference.

Steven135 00:21 06 Sep 03

Might be worth considering a second HD I have used this option for some time I stand to be corrected but think this is the cheapest option.

anchor 09:34 06 Sep 03

Sevendayshop have a small USB "key drive" with a 128Mb capacity that may fill his needs, (£29).

click here

recap 17:18 06 Sep 03

bfoc, budget up to £150.

Steven135, thanks but an external hard drive would be too big for his needs. He would like to be able to just put it in his pocket.

anchor, thanks for that one, maybe the 256Mb might do the job for him, and the price is very reasonable.

anchor 18:04 06 Sep 03

Belkin is one the most respected names in the business, and do a range of "pocket" USB flash drives up to 512Mb; Have a look:

click here

wee eddie 18:18 06 Sep 03

I have seen no discussion on the stability of these devices.

There have many threads on the longevity of CD's, both R and RW. Not much about DVD's and External Hard Drives, but nothing about Flash memory as a longterm, or even short-term, form of memory security.

Belatucadrus 21:33 06 Sep 03

click here not the cheapest, but you're not going to lose it are you ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…