Awash With Specs

laurie53 19:54 24 Mar 07

I know this should be on Helproom, but it can get a bit technical over there, so this is quite deliberate.

Anybody got any suggestions for a medium range processor? Never mind pins and fan noise, just something between bargain basement and top of the range.

I've got specs coming out of my ears at the moment and ma totally confused (so what else is new?).

Yes, I'm fully expecting to get some daft answers!

Laurie

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:56 24 Mar 07

A Celeron is always a good one for most uses but I would chuck in a smuch RAM as possible.

G

Totally-braindead 20:04 24 Mar 07

It depends what you class as medium range.

If I was upgrading and wanted an AMD processor I would choose an AM2 motherboard because they are newer and likely to be about longer than the socket 939 ones.
I mean look at this click here

Now if you have a 939 the prices have dropped dramatically click here about a year ago I bought the 3500 Athlon 64 retail processor and it cost me about £130 - now its £44.03. I do notice they are ou of stock at the moment but if you can get one at these prices it would be very good value. If you want dual core the AM2 chips are cheaper than the 939 ones which are getting harder to get anyway.

hzhzhzhz 20:06 24 Mar 07

I have always been an AMD person but I inherited a PB imedia with a Celeron D 2.6ghz. I must say that I am quite impressed.

ulrich 09:44 25 Mar 07

I have just upgraded my processor from XP 64 3200 to a XP 64 4000(939 socket), cost about £60(oem). An excellent purchase, I now have brand new old and new technology in my PC.

Forum Editor 09:49 25 Mar 07

from Speakers Corner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…