AVG Network Edition - Any Views?

Taff36 09:01 03 Oct 03

We currently have a 10 user perpetual user license fo McAfee Anti Virus but we need to renew the support contract and increase the users to 15. We have had no problems with the product but it doesn`t feature a central management system. The upgrade to McAfee ASaP which does is about £365.

By far the cheapest option for 15 seats and central management would appear to be AVG Network Edition - Has anyone experience of the product and give recommendations?

Sir Radfordin 09:40 03 Oct 03

Don't know about cost but would suggest you have a look at Sophos. Its a very good system and even better when you can roll it out over a network. Sophos are one of the leading providers of AV software.

Taff36 09:53 03 Oct 03

Sophos comes highly recommended and unlike McAfee that sells seats in multiples of 5 they charge individually BUT the cost for setting this up hits £655 !!

Sir Radfordin 10:05 03 Oct 03

That may be true, but look at the cost of sorting a problem out should one occur! It will always be a very hard thing to prove the value of simply because if something works you will never know what you have saved.

Some of the more recent virus's have been able to get into systems before AV companies could get out software updates. On that basis I would be inclined to trust Sophos more than AVG.

You could always try negotiating with them :)

Taff36 11:01 03 Oct 03

Thanks for the comments, you are correct of course. I really dont want to spend money unnecessarily. If the AVG product at approx. £125 (£250 over 2 years) has performed well with others on the consumer watch over the last year I would be tempted to give it a go. AVG personal edition appears to have been fine on one of our laptops and caught everything thats been thrown at it - Its experience of the networking edition that I`m after really. Thanks again.

Kraken 03:50 04 Oct 03

Not tried AVG, but you might think about trying Norman Data Defense - they have a centralised Network Management setup available and it makes administration and control a lot easier. I've had good results with it on two smaller company projects and the Support is easy to get through to, friendly and clued up, which I find a plus. (I hate those musical interludes and long waits before someone who doesn't know the product finally talks to you!)
The internet update can be set to pull updates in and it works well.

See click here for info.

I agree with both your sentiments regarding costs, however AV is one area where I feel safer with a 'paid for' product.

Taff36 09:00 06 Oct 03

Thanks for the input chaps.

Mambo Baby 10:17 06 Oct 03

We have been using AVG (recently upgraded to V7) and can sing its praises highly. No virus has slipped through the net and with automatic daily updates have complete faith in the product. Simple, no nonsense user interface!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…