avg and firewall cannot decide

polish 19:55 11 Nov 05

i no this is a well worn subject after recently dumping norton have tried a couple of different programs and iam currently using avg antivirus and firewall 30 day trial which seems very good £36.43 to buy 2 year license.
what i cant decide is wether to use the free editions or to buy are the free editions lesser programs and offer less protection to my pc any advice would be appreciated also dont no if it is me but could not see free firewall on sygate page

jbp1982 20:10 11 Nov 05

free versions offer less features.

And offer more than enough protection, many thousands use the free ones, I ditched norton in favour of avg free and za free.

jakimo 20:28 11 Nov 05

free versions of avg & zone_alarm & adaware is all you need

jakimo 20:28 11 Nov 05

free versions of avg & zone_alarm & adaware is all you need

mbp 20:47 11 Nov 05

I found Avast free was easier to downloand and install than AVG and equally as good.

ventanas 21:31 11 Nov 05

Avast is good, but I think most will agree that the best AV bar none is click here Its not free, but is half the price of Norton. As for a free firewall I would go with Kerio.

polish 21:44 11 Nov 05

the only problem with kerio is that it is no longer being developed for free use but will still have 12mths of updates

tenplus1 10:56 12 Nov 05

I personally use Avast! Anti-virus (free edition) and Sygate Personal Firewall (free) to protect my PC... and they work great...

ventanas 21:18 12 Nov 05

There is one drawback with Avast, the free version has no script blocker, but I do use it on my laptop, which only connects to the net about once a fortnight. The desktop needs something better, hence my use of NOD32. Sygate is far too over fussy for my liking. I know what's happening to Kerio, but even with no support its still a good product.

polish 21:49 12 Nov 05

just an update have uninstalled avg and installed avast eveything seems ok installed sygate but uninstalled due to errors when program starting up regardless of what i tried so have just installed zonealarm and all seems ok
will try for a couple of days iam tempted to purchase avg firewall and antivirus

jbp1982 21:52 12 Nov 05

keep the free ones and buy some extra bit of kit with the dosh.

honestly...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…