Athlon 64 or Athlon XP 3200+

Europa 15:07 07 Dec 03

I will be looking at buying a new PC system in the new year and I cannot make a decision on wether it would be worth it investing in an Athlon64 for the reason that my PC wouldn't become as quickly obsolete in the future, as 64 bits applications will be appearing at a later date, but it is still a newbie and if anything, things can still go wrong, bugs and faults and the rest. Or I stick to a secure AthlonXP 3200+,
with the gut feeling that my PC would lack behind once the 64 bits get established. My thought is that anyway the PC you buy today will become obsolete in a year time, but you can still try to make it as late as possible.
What do you think?

Jester2K II 15:34 07 Dec 03

If you buy a 3200+ i can't see your PC is going to be obsolete that soon!! There are loads of us here with slower processors (I have a PIII 800) and it still does exactly what i want it to do (with the exception of a few newer games).

I feel to own a Athlon64 now is just one-up-manship. You won't have a 64 bit OS or any 64 bit programs to take advantage of its performance. I can't see these things being widely available for at least another year or so. Until then with a 3200+ installed you'll still have one of the most powerful PCs about....

Buying computers is a game. Next month they'll be faster and cheaper so should you wait til next month? No, otherwise you'll never buy one.

I think is was VoG (or Gandalph) who said its like the sign that says "Free Beer here, Tomorrow" - it never happens....

carver 17:39 07 Dec 03

You would be far better off buying a m/c with a cheaper chip IE athlon 2800+ and spending the savings on a better graphics card and monitor. At this moment in time there are no games ,software that will or can take advantage of a 64 bit CPU so what is the point in having one, by the time games come out that will use the chip it should have come down in price a lot.

I too have thought about the AMD 64 and cant say that I see it is worth it.....yet!

Why no do as I did (and as carver suggests) and go for a decent Mobo and "good value" CPU? I decided to upgrade to an XP3000 with 400FSB (and have only seen them at Dabs) and now have this running as solid as a rock at 3200 with a 434FSB and PC3500 DDR (1Gb Kingston Hypermax). This system is now benchmarking only slightly lower than P4's with the 800FSB - well worth it at the price.

bremner 18:51 07 Dec 03

Whilst I can see the value in some ofthe points raised it is a fact that in the near future 64 bit software will become available.

Should you buy a system based on a 32 bit processor then any upgrade will involve replacing the mobo as well as the processor.

As all 32 bit software works on the 64 bit systems I would be tempted to go for the '64' to save some expense in the not too distant future.

Europa 22:02 07 Dec 03

Bremner, you highlighted exactly my dilemma. We are not talking about a couple of hundred pounds item here, but over a thousand pounds to pay off.
When I bought the system I've got now, the P4 was getting onto the market. I felt that 6 months later I was already lacking behind. Though it is still working perfectly, I cannot play any of the new games anymore, as I would need a more powerful processor to make the latest graphics card works (My processor is only 850 Mhz). If I had to update my actual PC, I would have to replace everything. It is time for me to replace my PC but my problem is that if I buy an Athlon 3200+, which is top notch so far and proven reliable, and two years down the lines some games and applications would only work on a 64 bits, I'll be back to square one. At the time of purchasing my computer 3 years ago, I was advised to stay away from the P4 for a while as it was brand new then and there may have been a few teething problems to be solved at the beginning. That is why I've got some difficulties in choosing between the two. I intend to buy my new PC the first quarter of next year, and at the moment I am looking at different reviews about the Athlon 64, but it seems that the feelings about it are mixed.

-Beb- 16:09 08 Dec 03

how about a p4?

bremner 16:20 08 Dec 03

I have no personal experience of the 64.

Looking at the PCA Power PC top ten six entries including numbers 1 and 2 are '64' based machines.With the entry at No 2 a Multivision machine being the equal cheapest of the ten.

With Companies like Mesh, Multivision and Evesham producing machines based on the '64' then it will only be a month or two before the entire top Ten are based on 64's

89vhassan 22:57 09 Dec 03

don't bother with getting the amd 64 by this time next year the price off the athlon 64 will have gone down alot i think a cheaper and better alternative is just to wait and see what the deal is with the new 64 chips until then just invest in a athlon xp 2.6 which only costs about £80 until the future of 64 becomes clear.

Davidjazz 23:41 09 Dec 03

Unless you actually need the very fastest computer why not go with a slightly slower xp, ie xp 2800 with a motherboard that can support the xp 3200. You will have a computer that is only slightly slower and in the near future when the xp 3200 drops by 75% you could update or you could use the money saved to buy a 64 which will be much improved and cheaper in a few years.

Djohn 02:04 10 Dec 03

Not too technical on these things, but can you buy a motherboard that is 64 bit ready now and also recognises a 32 bit chip, then in 18 months or so you would only need to upgrade the CPU?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…