Aria wont give me my money back.

Tony W 08:46 11 Jul 04

I ordered a DVD player and some speakers from this dodgy firm and was sent an e mail telling me that the order would be cancelled within 7 days unless I provided proof of ID because one of the credit card details was wrong. I didn't provide any proof but re-ordered instead, this time with the correct details. The original order was cancelled by them because I didn't provide proof of ID. They then sent both the cancelled order and the new order together. I contacted them to arrange collection and a refund but was told I would have to pay for the postage costs. I have e mailed them several times since then but they dont bother to reply. I have tried to phone them 3 times but have given up each time after being put on hold for over 30 minutes.
How can I be responsible for the postage costs when they sent a cancelled (by themselves) order?
And why dont they answer their phone occasionally? The sales line phone is picked up straight away so why not the customer service line? They seem to think that if they ignore me long enough, I'll just forget about it and go away.
You would think that their reputation was more important to them than swallowing the postage costs because of their own mistake.

spuds 11:44 11 Jul 04

If the trader as made the mistake, then it is their responsibilty to pay the costs of return.If you made the mistake, then the cost of return would be your responsibilty.

Ordering goods, then re-ordering the same goods can lead to confusion, especially if emails from either party are not answered.

Tony W 12:34 11 Jul 04

The order was cancelled by Aria themselves as I didn't provide proof of ID within 7 days. The new order was on a different order number so that should not have confused the issue. They sent an order they should not have sent and want me to pay to return it. As far as I'm concerned it's their mistake, so they can pay the postage.

It's a grey area in this particular case, but under unsolicited goods legislation, if you receive something in the post you did not ask for,it is the responsibility for that company to arrange collection of the item.Your requirement is to keep it safe.If after a set period (a month I think),and the goods have not been collected, then they are yours to keep.
Write to inform the company of this, and also send a copy with a covering letter to your credit card company, putting them on notice that you may be making a claim for a refund.
The problem is you have paid for both,so there is little incentive for the company to collect and refund.

Stuartli 12:52 11 Jul 04

What was so difficult about providing proof of your ID?

How long after the original order did you place the second order?

Wouldn't it have been just as simple to provide proof of ID rather than place a second order?

Also your first paragraph infers that you knew/allege you placed an order with "this dodgy firm" - if this was your belief, why did you do so?

Tony W 13:00 11 Jul 04

Thanks for that Electron99, I'll give that some thought. Stuartli-I couldn't find any suitable ID at that time. I re-ordered 2 days later, and obviously at that time did not consider Aria to be 'dodgy' or I wouldn't give them my custom.

Stuartli 13:00 11 Jul 04

But he did ask for the goods originally but, in his own words, ignored a request for proof of ID..:-)

However, contacting his credit card company and outlining the details should help as it will chase up the retailer involved, ask why it sent two orders despite the first one missing a required proof of ID and, hopefully, reimbursing Tony W for one of the orders.

If he also provides details and proof of his expenses, such as telephone calls, he should also receive these from the credit card company if they feel he has a valid claim; my guess is that it will feel that Tony W shares some of the blame for what has happened.

Stuartli 13:08 11 Jul 04

As you re-ordered only two days after placing the first order and without providing proof of identity as requested for the original order, then it seems to me that you are the architect of your own misfortune.

Aria should perhaps ask itself about its role in the matter, but I would write to the company by recorded delivery outlining exactly what has happened.

Offer to send the second order back at your expense if they will reimburse you for one of the orders - I think this is the least you can expect.

I would also point out to Aria that you have informed your credit card company of the situation and will be keeping it up to date on developments; retailers don't like upsetting one of their key sources of secure revenue without having a good reason.

spuds 13:29 11 Jul 04

I seem a little confused as to the issue being raised here. In the opening statement it would appear as though the return postage costs are in dispute and not the refund of purchase price of the DVD and speakers.With that I assume that Aria's have agreed to refund the purchase price of the original 'cancelled' order, but not the return postage costs. At present you have two purchased DVD's with speakers, and you are holding the cancelled order until the dispute about return postage costs is solved.Is that correct.

Tony W 13:34 11 Jul 04

Stuartli-If Aria cancelled the order because I didn't provide proof of ID, as they said they would, but then send the order anyway, how can I be held responsible for their mistake. If they send an e mail telling you your order will not be processed, they should stick to that and not send the order. Having sent the cancelled order in error, they should admit their mistake and re-imburse my account.

Tony W 13:36 11 Jul 04

Spuds-yes that's right. I don't think I should pay the postage for something they should not have sent in the first place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…