Argos Product Search

opel 14:21 16 Dec 09

Hi All,

I have been searching like mad for the past few days for various items from the argos.co.uk website and keep getting out of stock messages,

it occurred to me that there must be loads of people getting the same messages and going through the same frustrations, i.e.:

1. enter product code
2. enter postcode
3. search
4. get an out of stock message, but choose 2 other local stores
repeat step 3 and 4 continuously

I don't know about you, but I would be prepared to travel 20/30 miles to get that one item my daughter wants for Christmas - especially if I could find one of those dam Go Go Hamster Cars! so having to go through the same steps over and over again is so frustrating.

I know there is the option of getting an email if it comes into stock, but you have to register at each store - frustrating or what.

Well I've had enough of this and am about to put fingers to keyboard and write a ditty program to do this search stuff for me, so my question to you is....

1. would you like a program to search all Argos stores for that hard to find item
2. would you like this as a download program or to run it from a website
3. would you pay for such a program?
3a. if so, how much? £5 / £10 / £20?
4. or would you prefer to donate when it suits you.

I have created a blog on blogger to records peoples thoughts and it'll be great if you can add yours too,
click here

mant thanks

tullie 17:20 16 Dec 09

My thoughts are that i may invent something called Google,so that people can search for items.

interzone55 21:49 16 Dec 09

"I don't know about you, but I would be prepared to travel 20/30 miles to get that one item my daughter wants for Christmas"

My answer to that would be get a life - try not to promise your daughter something before you have it wrapped and hidden in the back of the wardrobe.

When I worked in the Wigan branch of Index (Argos's long departed competitor) I took a call asking if I had a Baby Annabell doll in stock. Yes I said and I could hold it until we closed at 10pm.

At quarter to 10 a woman dashed through the door, she'd driven up from Portsmouth (250 miles) to buy a doll for her daughter, sheer madness...

hastelloy 04:40 17 Dec 09

Does it have to come from Argos? click here=;;4018;&sp=1&sort=4

michaelw 08:54 17 Dec 09

I find the online ordering process frustrating too. here's what I told them:

Dear Sir, Thank you for your e-mail regarding Argos systems. I will pass your remarks to my manager who will ensure that they reach the relevant department.

But I doubt they'll do anything about it.

michaelw 08:55 17 Dec 09

It didn't copy and paste. I'll try again:

Hi

Just a small suggestion. Why do you not list products out of stock BEFORE someone has to go through the ENTIRE purchasing procedure to only then find out it's out of stock,>> Regards

Dear

Thank you for your e-mail regarding stock availability.>> When an item displays as in-stock for Home Delivery this is dependent upon which area of the country you live in. Stock is separated into regional warehouses and not held in one central warehouse, as such the website will tell you that an item is in-stock until it ascertains which region you live in.>> Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. You have indicated a fundamental flaw in your ordering online process though. I'm no IT expert but I would have thought it's not beyond the realms of your webmaster to set up your site so that a customer's area is requested earlier on in the ordering process to find out if that area's warehouse has the stock.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Argos systems. I will pass your remarks to my manager who will ensure that they reach the relevant department.

opel 11:44 17 Dec 09

thanks all for your input,

tullie,
Google only shows you webpages where products are listed never whether they are in stock or not

alan14,
true, preparation is great - but sometimes life is not like that

michaelw,
seems like we're in the same boat!

canarieslover 12:44 17 Dec 09

Perhaps you are offering the program to the wrong people. Why not approach Argos to offer it as an additional customer service?

dagbladet 14:38 18 Dec 09

alan14

What does "get a life" actually mean?
This 'get a life' thing is a pretty lame retort that tends to come from the academically challenged or those lacking in half decent social skills when they happen to disagree with how someone else conducts their affairs.

Gandalf uses it a lot.

interzone55 20:22 18 Dec 09

"Get a life" is originally an American idiom and catch phrase usually intended as a taunt, to indicate that the person being so addressed (called a "nolife") is devoting an inordinate amount of time to trivial or hopeless matters.

dagbladet 20:43 18 Dec 09

"..is devoting an inordinate amount of time to trivial or hopeless matters."

...and you get to decide what is trivial and hopeless?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…