Argos Double Billing

The Brigadier 15:56 29 Oct 08

High Street store Argos has apologised after it charged 190,000 customers twice in one day - withdrawing millions of pounds too much from bank accounts.

Shoppers discovered the bungle only after checking their bank accounts - and discovered their credit and debit cards had been double-charged for items.

Customers feared they could be plunged into the red and face bank charges because of the error, which happened last Friday. But they have been warned they may not get their cash back until next week.

More than 350,000 people shop at the chain every day. A spokesman for the retail giant blamed the error on a 'system issue'. He said: "Argos would like to apologise to any customer who was double charged when making a purchase.

"We believe that approximately 190,000 customers have been affected. At this stage it is impossible to state the exact figure taken from customers' accounts but it is likely that this will be several millions of pounds.

"As soon as we became aware of the issue on Monday morning we immediately briefed stores and customer services. "Steps were put in place to rectify the error and a correction was run to ensure any affected customers had the duplicate charge refunded.

"This is now complete but it may take several days for the banks to process the refund and for it to reappear in customers' accounts."

GRIDD 16:34 29 Oct 08

tooooo slow click here

GRIDD 16:34 29 Oct 08

but you are in the right forum though, the other one isn't...

BJN 17:04 29 Oct 08

Yup happened to me, I noticed yesterday when checking credit card account online, Store was aware and said it should be refunded in the next 2 days. Lucky for me it was only for £7.49 but what about people who spent hundreds of pounds on a large item. If banks do charge if you go overdrawn is Argos lible for any charge incured or credit card charges if bill is generated before the refund is made.

Bj

interzone55 17:28 29 Oct 08

This happens quite often, and is usually down to a corrupted data transmission, so the bank requests a new transmission and accidentally processes the whole lot twice.

This is an interesting site explaining how bank transactions work.
click here

spuds 18:50 29 Oct 08

Good job that I paid with my Argos store card :O)

Condom 19:25 29 Oct 08

My friend is waiting for a refund from Argus for some broken goods they supplied. Do you think she might get it twice?

BJN 11:20 30 Oct 08

money refunded today so looks like Argos acted quickly

Bj

interzone55 17:18 30 Oct 08

Argos acted as soon as the mistake was noticed by their accounts bods, the refund delay was down to the time it takes the money to leave Argos's merchant account and arrive in the customers' card accounts...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced