Are these relaible purchasing sires?

gazmix 14:29 30 Dec 09

Has anyone ever used these sites to bu electical goods from & if they are legit & safe as i see they are based in Hong Kong & other Chinese cities!

click here

click here

click here

some of the prices seem very good & lots of reviews seem legit, but anyone can falsify a review!

Cheers

interzone55 14:33 30 Dec 09

I look at purchasing from these kind of sites in the same way as going to the bookies, don't place the bet if you can't afford to say good-bye to the money...

GaT7 14:41 30 Dec 09

I've purchased from DealExtreme in the past - everything turned up.

Another one I know of that's not dodgy is LED Shoppe click here.

Sorry, I've no idea about the other two. Perhaps order something inexpensive to begin with & pay via PayPal - the latter may cover these purchases. G

GaT7 14:45 30 Dec 09

Just be aware it can take up to 14 days or more for the goods to arrive. G

Kevscar1 14:46 30 Dec 09

First Check if they give a full Address. if not then they are in Breach of UK law and should be avoided.
Then use the websearch on the Companies House Site. If not registered then again avoid.

GaT7 15:10 30 Dec 09

Kevscar, none of them are claiming to be UK-based.

gazmix is also aware of this: "i see they are based in Hong Kong & other Chinese cities!"

-----------------------------------------

"...some of the prices seem very good" - that's because they are cheaply-made Chinese/Far East stuff. Don't expect great quality, but I've heard some of their more expensive, branded items are not too bad. G

gazmix 15:23 30 Dec 09

yes, they are all in China i think & 1 has responded in broken English to an email but the other 2 haven't much of an easy way of emailing them!
Someone on a local forum bought a disco laser machine that was about £200 but a lot cheaper than here & was delivered free!! i'm just a bit wary!

sunnystaines 17:41 30 Dec 09

what are you looking to buy?

Kevscar1 18:22 30 Dec 09

Things to be aware of if you are buying from abroad.
You are liable for VAT and any import duties on the item.
If the sender puts a low value onthe shipping label to avoid any taxes you are the one who could lose the goods and you coud be charged with smuggling.

Kevscar1 18:28 30 Dec 09

It,s also likely that any guarantee you recieve if you get one is not worth the paper it,s written on.

robin_x 16:23 31 Dec 09

Don't forget electrical safety. Also legally required for the European Union is the "CE" mark.

"UL" USA or "VDE" Germany are roughly the same.

A 13 yr old lad was electrocuted, and died, a few years back from a Chinese mains adapter for his games console.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5