Are these cards the same??

jimmynugent86 17:05 09 Jun 09

Ok im on the hunt for a new graphics card and looking for one in the region of 150 quid. First off I was just wondering if the two (below) are the same card? If they are then why the price variance, are some manufacturers better than others?

click here=

click here

Second, if anyone knows of a single card better than the two above for around the same price could they let me know :D

thanks in advance!

I am Spartacus 17:18 09 Jun 09

From my limited experience of XFX cards they tend not to be overclockable so if you've no plans to do that then it's OK. My XFX 3870 is still running fine after nearly 18 months of daily use.

Note that if you're running a 32 bit version of Windows and have 4GB RAM fitted the 1GB on the cards means you'd only see around 2.8GB as opposed to around 3.2GB with 512MB on the card.

Depending on your screen size I'd also consider a HD4850 or even a HD4770.

citadel 17:24 09 Jun 09

hd 4870 cards have been reduced due to 4890 cards coming out. makers pre overclock some cards and use different coolers, also the bundle thats comes with cards, games, cables etc makes a price difference. basicly all 4870 cards are made to a reference design.

TopCat® 17:31 09 Jun 09

Check out the customer reviews for each card and, most importantly, whether your PSU is more than capable of running either of them safely. TC.

Armchair 10:55 11 Jun 09

They are the same. This one is the same, too!

click here

Well, apart from the fact that the core is mildly overclocked, so it might give an extra 0.5 frames per second or something, lol. It's also a lot cheaper.

Stuartli 13:35 11 Jun 09

The variation in prices with (similar chipset) graphics cards is due to any additional features and/or games and other software provided over competitors' offerings.

To find out which offers the best value per buck visit review websites such as TomsHardware, TrustedReviews or Tech Reviews (there are many others):

click here

click here

click here

Armchair 15:41 11 Jun 09

Well, I don't think any of the three 4870s linked to have any additional software included. The only difference I can see is the warranty. 1 year for the cheapest, 2 for the others. I've never had a graphics card fail yet. All you need is the card, and the driver (I suppose) disc anyway. Anything else is useless clutter.

Stuartli 16:37 11 Jun 09

Lucky you...:-)

Armchair 19:36 11 Jun 09

Have you had misfortune with them, then? What happened?

The only PC component that has failed me (in six and a half years) is a CD-RW drive.

Armchair 19:37 11 Jun 09

.......and that was after six years use.

I am Spartacus 19:43 11 Jun 09

Where to start. In 16 years, 11 hard drives including 3 external ones (1 dropped), 4 graphics cards including 1 faulty within a week of purchase, laptop screen inverter, laptop floppy drive, 1 stick of Corsair RAM, 6 sticks of Crucial Ballistix Tracer within 8 months (in 3 different motherboards) thought to be a faulty batch by Crucial, 2 motherboards, 1 PSU, 1 CD-RW.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos