Are my domain nameservers trying to steal my domain name?

Salahoona 19:40 24 Mar 15

I spent a lot of money and time building a system around a domain name. When I tried to transfer the domain name to another web server - the nmameservers blocked the transfer. I have many other domain names parked but they chose to block the valuable one. I'm fully paid up and in credit.

Is there any control on what nameservers can do? Much of their written communication had been in meaningless English, but I now expect it was deceit.

Who can I contact to get back control of my domain?

wee eddie 23:39 24 Mar 15

Read your Contract first.

Forum Editor 19:05 25 Mar 15

"Much of their written communication had been in meaningless English"

Firstly, I should make the point that a name server is simply that - a server.

If you want to leave one web hosting company and go to another you have options.

You can leave your domain name with your existing host or registrar - called 'parking' and simply point the name to your new host's name-servers.

Or

You can transfer the name from one host to the other.

I'll assume you want to go for the second option, and this is what you do:-

1. Have your domain's EPP Code (Security Key) handy so you can provide it to your new registrar/host. Your domain's EPP Code can be obtained from your current registrar/host, simply ask for it. When you order a domain transfer, you will be asked for the domain's EPP code by the new host. The transfer can NOT be initiated without this security key, so make sure you have it.

2. Unlock the domain. Make sure your domain name is UNLOCKED before you initiate a transfer. This can be done from your current registrar's domain control panel. If your domain name is locked, the transfer will fail.

3. Don't have WHOIS protection (Domain Privacy) enabled. Make sure to DISABLE WHOIS protection on your domain name before initiating a transfer. This can be done from your current registrar's domain control panel, or by asking your current registrar/host to do it for you. If your domain name has WHOIS protection enabled, the transfer will fail.

4. Make sure the domain's Administrative Contact Details or WHOIS Information (email, address, phone, ect.) MATCHES your own personal info with your new registrar/host. This can be changed from your current registrar's domain control panel. If your domain name's contact details DO NOT match with the new registrar/host, the transfer will fail.

Once you have taken care of these steps and initiated the transfer process, your new registrar/host will then send a transfer request approval notice to the email address listed in the WHOIS details for that domain (your email address). The request MUST be approved by the domain name holder/owner.

Once approved, your new registrar/host will then send the request to your current registrar/host so they release the domain name (this can take several days). If your current registrar/host does NOT release the domain, it will NOT be transferred. Make sure you can contact your current registrar/host for assistance if you need to.

if you want to go for option 1 you can simply ask the new host for name-server details and alter them yourself in your current host's domain name control panel. If your host doesn't provide you with a control panel you'll need to contact their customer support department and ask them to make the changes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…