Are the customer reviews on the Argos site genuine

Armchair 10:58 23 Apr 09

Or are they fiction? Can they be trusted at all as a guide to a product's quality and usefulness?

dagnammit 11:55 23 Apr 09

Yes they are real. I've written quite a few as they send you an email when you reserve something online asking for a review.

They should be only taken as opinion though and not fact.

OTT_Buzzard 12:03 23 Apr 09

Done a couple of reviews there as well. they have appeared unedited even when they haven't been entirely complimentary!

babybell 14:32 23 Apr 09

I'm pretty sure that Argos would find themselves in a lot of trouble if their 'Customer' reviews turned out to be fake! I'm sure that would be covered under the charge of fraud.

961 15:28 23 Apr 09

Mine are

Forum Editor 18:12 23 Apr 09

would a company like Argos want to invent fake customer reviews about a product's usefulness? I can think of no reason for doing so, and I'm quite sure the company wouldn't dream of doing such a thing. Argos sells things, it doesn't make them.

oresome 18:21 23 Apr 09

Like others, I've written comments re items purchased at both Argos and Comet.

I read other customer reviews where possible before purchase and I have been disuaded where there are repeated negative comments.

Armchair 19:51 23 Apr 09

Righto. Cheers. Some of the reviews just sound a bit fake, lol. Not sure why people would bother to post such reviews, either. I wouldn't.

GaT7 21:29 23 Apr 09

"Some of the reviews just sound a bit fake" - I know what you mean, especially the ones that go OTT with their praise - I've seen similar on other sites too.

One must recognise that people have differing tastes & expectations. And while some are very generous in their praise, others may not be. In addition, whatever anyone writes about a particular item is 'truth' to them - it may not be the 'real/whole truth' though, if you can see where I'm coming from. Take most of it with a pinch of salt & decide for yourself I say! G

Si_L 21:36 23 Apr 09

It is best, as Crossbow says, to take reviews with a pinch of salt. One time I saw an item on Ebay, I went on Amazon to get reviews, and there was just the one, added that day, by a person with an extremely similar name to the Ebayer! No prizes for guessing that it went over the top with praise for it!

Also remember that most people won't bother posting a review unless they have had a problem with it. I'm not sure reviews can be an accurate representation of the whole as the happy majority are silent.

babybell 10:08 24 Apr 09

Some of the reviews can be OTT so you just have to study them carefully and kind of take an average. I was looking at Flat Screen TV's on the Argos website and one TV was getting roughly 4 out of 5 as a rating, then suddenely there was a rating of 1. It turns out the TV only had 1 HDMI port and not two as expected so it was dealt a harsh review.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced