Are Acer any good?

Chris-347369 12:26 16 Jun 06

I'm searching for a gaming computer for my brother who manages to blow up his PSU and fry his motherboard during the week.

I've found a reasonable one on Ebuyer with a good spec that's about £200 cheaper than anything I could get from Dell.

What i'm wondering is whether Acer are any good as a manufactuer? I've seen their products around but have no experience of them

DrHoliday 12:32 16 Jun 06

Depends on who you listen to or what you read here & on other forums.
Both my sister & a friend have acer laptops and have never had one thing go wrong with them.

rmcqua 13:09 16 Jun 06

We use a lot of Acer laptops at my place of work. Generally very trouble-free, though I have heard that after sales customer service leaves a bit to be desired.

spuds 13:15 16 Jun 06

Similar views to DrHoliday. I have a couple of friends who purchased Acer's recently from Tesco's, when they were on special promotional discount offer.

They seem very happy with their laptops,in fact I was thinking of getting one at the same time but stocks ran out, reading various forums including PCA, there seems to be some problems with after-sales service and warranty work.Delays and shortages of replacement components seem to be the biggest problem. Taking into consideration, that the retailer would be responsible for the first twelve months under consumer law if things go wrong, then I think that you would be fairly safe.

Stuartli 13:50 16 Jun 06

Apart from its own laptops, Acer's models are rebadged by a number of other top brand names.

Woolwell 14:12 16 Jun 06

Note that he wants a gaming computer. Which games? Most of the cheaper laptops are not up to gaming.
Which Acer desktop are you looking at?

rmcqua 14:30 16 Jun 06

Take a look at this for Acer gamimg laptops.
click here

Jimmy14 14:31 16 Jun 06

for gaming and it handle all the games I have tried on it. Very good quality and build but havn't been in contact with their customer service yet so wouldn't know

Chris-347369 15:26 16 Jun 06

click here

This is the particular model I was considering. Seems very good spec for the price. I know the onboard graphics leave a lot to be desired but that can be easily changes using the free PCI-E slot

Jimmy14 16:56 16 Jun 06

I don't think that machine is suitable for your needs because you say in your first comment that you want a computer for gaming.

vector 17:13 16 Jun 06

My notebook is quite good when it works anyway(which is most of the time). However their support is terrible.

Delays getting through to support, my calls always seem to be passed to someone else which I guess is just a minor annoyance (having to explain everything all over again).

The surprising thing is I'd also had problems with the courier they use, Citylink, in the past but with both returns I've not had a complaint with them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…